How do I go about this [projectile motion]

In summary, the problem involves a rocket launched with an initial velocity of 75.0 m/s and an overall acceleration of 25 m/s^2. After 25.0 seconds, the rocket's engines fail and it enters a projectile path. The goal is to find the total time, dy, and dx. To solve this problem, it is necessary to split it into two parts. In the first part, the initial velocities and overall acceleration are used to determine the horizontal and vertical distances traveled as well as the final horizontal and vertical speeds. In the second part, the final velocities from the first part are used as the initial velocities in a free fall problem to calculate the time until the rocket hits the ground. Taking into account the
IntellectIsStrength
A rocket is launched with an initial velocity of 75.0 m/s [53 degreess above the horizontal]. It goes for 25.0 s along its initial line of motion with an overall acceleration of 25 m/s^2. At this time the rockets fail and the rocket follows a projectile path. Find the total time, dy, and dx, in no particular order.

---
so would the vx and vy be:

vx=700cos53 m/s
vy=700sin53 m/s

(700 is the vf of the rocket after 25.0 s, before getting into a projectile path; so is it correct to assume that 700 is the vi for the projectile?)

And so far I've come up with dy = tan θ + ½ a (dx/ Vicosθ)^2... I really don't know what to do next... :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure exactly what work you're showing or where you got the answers you give, so let me give you some general advice here.

Notice that the conditions of the problem change partway through. That means you're pretty much going to have to solve the problem in two parts.

During the first part, the rocket starts with the initial velocities you have worked out. It also has an "overall acceleration" of 25 m/s^2. I presume that means the net acceleration, and that gravity has been taken into account, so you'll need to split the acceleration into its horizontal and vertical components and figure out from that the horizontal and vertical distances traveled as well as the final horizontal and vertical speeds.

When the rocket engines cut off, the second part of the problem begins. Now you'll use the final velocities you worked out in the first part as the initial velocities in a free fall problem. The rocket will be rising at thus and such a rate - how long until it hits the ground? Obviously, to get that you'll need to know the initial height, which will be the vertical distance you determined in the first part.

Does this help?

Oh - and for the record, I suspect you'd have to take into account the curvature of the Earth to get an accurate answer to this question, but I think I also wouldn't worry about that if I were you. I'd just use it to tease my teacher. :)

Hello,

To solve this problem, we can use the equations of projectile motion. First, let's find the initial velocity components in the x and y directions:

vx = 75.0 m/s * cos(53 degrees) = 45.0 m/s
vy = 75.0 m/s * sin(53 degrees) = 60.0 m/s

Now, we can use the equations of projectile motion to find the total time, dy, and dx. The equations we will use are:

dy = vy * t + 1/2 * a * t^2
dx = vx * t
vy = vy_initial + a * t

We know that the rocket will follow a projectile path after 25 seconds, so we can use that information to solve for the total time:

25 seconds = t

Now, let's use the equation for dy to find the vertical displacement at this time:

dy = (60.0 m/s) * (25 seconds) + 1/2 * (25 m/s^2) * (25 seconds)^2
dy = 1500 m + 3125 m
dy = 4625 m

Next, we can use the equation for dx to find the horizontal displacement at this time:

dx = (45.0 m/s) * (25 seconds)
dx = 1125 m

So, the total time is 25 seconds, the vertical displacement is 4625 m, and the horizontal displacement is 1125 m.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is launched into the air and moves along a curved path due to the force of gravity.

2. How do I calculate the initial velocity for a projectile?

The initial velocity for a projectile can be calculated using the equation v0 = √(vx2 + vy2), where vx is the horizontal velocity and vy is the vertical velocity.

3. What factors affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The trajectory of a projectile is affected by the initial velocity, angle of launch, and the force of gravity. Air resistance and wind can also have an impact on the trajectory.

4. How do I calculate the maximum height and range of a projectile?

The maximum height of a projectile can be calculated using the equation h = (v02sin2θ)/2g, where v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. The range of a projectile can be calculated using the equation R = (v02sin2θ)/g.

5. How can I use projectile motion in real life?

Projectile motion has many practical applications in daily life, such as in sports like baseball and basketball, in fireworks displays, and in launching satellites into orbit. It is also used in engineering and physics to study the motion of objects and design structures that can withstand the forces of projectile motion.