How to Integrate dz/ (y^2 + (x-z)^2))^1/2 Using Inverse Hyperbolic Functions?

• Thread starter Arthy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary, the integral of dz/(y^2 + (x-z)^2)^1/2 can be evaluated by substituting u = x-z and u/y = tanθ, which leads to the integral of secθ dθ. Using the identity cosh^2t = 1 + sinh^2t and the inverse hyperbolic functions, the final result is -t evaluated from sinh^-1((x-z)/y) to sinh^-1(x/y).
Arthy
Integral of dz/ (y^2 + (x-z)^2))^1/2

Physics news on Phys.org
Let x-z equal y sinh t

I would do it as a sequence of substitutions (planck42's use of a single substitution is correct and faster but harder to see).

First, because that "[itex](x- z)^2[/itex]" is a nuisance, let u= x- z. Then du= -dz so the integral becomes
[tex]-\int \frac{du}{y^2+ u^2}[/tex].

Now, remembering that [itex]sin^2(\theta)+ cos^2(\theta)= 1[/itex] so that [itex]tan^1(\theta)+ 1= sec^2(\theta)[/itex] and that [itex]y^2+ u^2= y^2(1+ (u/y)^2[/itex], let [itex]u/y= tan(\theta)[/itex] so that [itex]du= y^2 sec^2(\theta)d\theta[/itex] and [itex]y^2+ u^2= y^2(1+ (u/y)^2)= y^1(sec^2(\theta))[/itex] (Again, Planck42's hyperbolic substitution works fine but I learned trig substitutions before hyperbolic substutions so I tend to think of them first!). That makes the integral
[tex]\int\frac{y^2 sec^2(\theta)d\theta}{y^2 sec^2(\theta)}[/tex]

Thank you for the reply, but there is a square root at the denominator (y^2+ (x-z)^2)^1/2.

I know the answer of this derivation, with respect to limits 0 to L,

Integral of
dz/ Square root of (y^2+(x-z)^2) =
ln (x+ Square root of (x^2+y^2)/ x-L + square root of ((x-L)^2+y^2))

Please explain me the derivation part.

Going off of Halls' steps,
u/y = tanθ → u = y·tanθ
du = y·sec2θ dθ
[tex]\sqrt{(y^2+ u^2)} = \sqrt{(y^2(1+ (u/y)^2))} = \sqrt{(y^2(\sec^2\theta)} = y\sec \theta[/tex]

Then you get
[tex]\int \frac{y \sec^2 \theta ~d\theta}{y\sec \theta} = \int \sec\theta ~d\theta[/tex]

Let x-z be y sinh t
dz=-ycosh t dt

Using the identity [tex]cosh^{2}t=1+sinh^{2}t[/tex], we get

[tex]{\int}-dt[/tex]

Which is just -t. Now to put back the x's, y's, and z's.

[tex]x-z=ysinht[/tex] so
[tex]t=sinh^{-1}\frac{x-z}{y}[/tex]

The rest is just a matter of inserting the bounds L and 0(and looking up the inverse hyperbolic functions; they're why your answer is a nasty ln function)

1. How do I integrate this equation?

To integrate an equation, you first need to identify the function and the variable that you are integrating with respect to. Then, use the appropriate integration rules or techniques to solve the integral. Remember to always check your work and apply any necessary boundary conditions.

2. What is the purpose of integration in science?

Integration is a fundamental mathematical concept that allows us to find the area under a curve and calculate important quantities such as velocity, acceleration, and volume. In science, integration is used extensively in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering to model and analyze real-world phenomena.

3. Can I use any integration method for any type of equation?

No, different types of equations require different integration methods. For example, you may use integration by parts for products of functions, substitution for nested functions, or partial fractions for rational functions. It is important to choose the appropriate method based on the form of the equation.

4. Is there a shortcut for integrating complicated equations?

Yes, there are several techniques and formulas that can help simplify the integration process for more complex equations. For instance, the power rule, trigonometric identities, and integration tables can be useful tools when solving integrals. However, it is important to understand the underlying concepts and not solely rely on shortcuts.

5. How do I know if my integration is correct?

You can check your integration by differentiating the result and comparing it to the original equation. If the two are equal, then your integration is correct. Additionally, you can also use online integration calculators or ask a trusted colleague or mentor to review your work.