1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I Integrate this?

1. Jun 17, 2010 #1
    Integral of dz/ (y^2 + (x-z)^2))^1/2

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2010 #2
    Let x-z equal y sinh t

4. Jun 17, 2010 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I would do it as a sequence of substitutions (planck42's use of a single substitution is correct and faster but harder to see).

First, because that "[itex](x- z)^2[/itex]" is a nuisance, let u= x- z. Then du= -dz so the integral becomes
    [tex]-\int \frac{du}{y^2+ u^2}[/tex].

Now, remembering that [itex]sin^2(\theta)+ cos^2(\theta)= 1[/itex] so that [itex]tan^1(\theta)+ 1= sec^2(\theta)[/itex] and that [itex]y^2+ u^2= y^2(1+ (u/y)^2[/itex], let [itex]u/y= tan(\theta)[/itex] so that [itex]du= y^2 sec^2(\theta)d\theta[/itex] and [itex]y^2+ u^2= y^2(1+ (u/y)^2)= y^1(sec^2(\theta))[/itex] (Again, planck42's hyperbolic substitution works fine but I learned trig substitutions before hyperbolic substutions so I tend to think of them first!). That makes the integral
    [tex]\int\frac{y^2 sec^2(\theta)d\theta}{y^2 sec^2(\theta)}[/tex]

5. Jun 17, 2010 #4
    Thank you for the reply, but there is a square root at the denominator (y^2+ (x-z)^2)^1/2.

I know the answer of this derivation, with respect to limits 0 to L,

Integral of
    dz/ Square root of (y^2+(x-z)^2) =
    ln (x+ Square root of (x^2+y^2)/ x-L + square root of ((x-L)^2+y^2))

Please explain me the derivation part.

6. Jun 17, 2010 #5
    Going off of Halls' steps,
    u/y = tanθ → u = y·tanθ
    du = y·sec2θ dθ
    [tex]\sqrt{(y^2+ u^2)} = \sqrt{(y^2(1+ (u/y)^2))} = \sqrt{(y^2(\sec^2\theta)} = y\sec \theta[/tex]

Then you get
    [tex]\int \frac{y \sec^2 \theta ~d\theta}{y\sec \theta} = \int \sec\theta ~d\theta[/tex]

7. Jun 18, 2010 #6
    Let x-z be y sinh t
    dz=-ycosh t dt

Using the identity [tex]cosh^{2}t=1+sinh^{2}t[/tex], we get

[tex]{\int}-dt[/tex]

Which is just -t. Now to put back the x's, y's, and z's.

[tex]x-z=ysinht[/tex] so
    [tex]t=sinh^{-1}\frac{x-z}{y}[/tex]

The rest is just a matter of inserting the bounds L and 0(and looking up the inverse hyperbolic functions; they're why your answer is a nasty ln function)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook