1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I integrate this?

1. Sep 21, 2005 #1
    An L-C circuit will undergo resonance, with the current varying sinusoidally, where:
    I(t) = I*cos(omega*t)

I keep getting stuck with an answer of I*t*sin(omega*t)

Can't find anything on the standard table of integrals that would indicate this is incorrect

:confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2005 #2

Fermat

Homework Helper

How did you get the answer of I*t*sin(omega*t)

4. Sep 21, 2005 #3
    I*cos(omega*t)

omega's just a constant then? I'll call it a

I*cos(at)

I's a constant too, so you'll only integrat cos(at)

which should be sin(at)/a

so I*sin(omega*t)/omega?

Other possibility, since I'm not sure myself, is that you can express omega as a function of time, can't you? (2pi*frequency)and frequency is like 1/t or something. I dunno, I think the first way's right

Edit: Wait, I isn't a constant, well whatever, I'll leave this post up here for learning purposes but methinks it's rubbish

5. Sep 21, 2005 #4

Fermat

Homework Helper

That looks correct. I wasn't sure what you were integrating.

omega isn't a funtion of time - it is a constant.

omega is only a funtion of time if it varies with time.
    frequency isn't a function of time either, but usually, a constant value. frequency is simply the rate at which something changes wrt time. But that rate of change is constant!!

6. Sep 22, 2005 #5
    That I is a constant - it's the value of the current at time t = 0 (usually).

7. Sep 22, 2005 #6
    Thanks I'll give that a shot. Sorry for the confusion, omega was a constant (angular frequency). I'm worried about how much high school stuff I've already forgotten :eek:

I wasn't sure how to properly intergrate in that case.

I tried looking it up, but could only find the simple cases (i.e. integrate sin x = cos x)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?