How do I keep my job?

Large corporation, politics, favoritism, cronyism, back-room deals,..........my workplace.........not simple or black and white.
These all sound to me like excuses for you to do nothing. If you don't come out of your shell and stand up for yourself, nothing will change.

Now, what do I need to become one of the hottest engineers in the country?
This is something you asked a while ago. In light of your main concern in this thread, keeping your job, this question seems to be completely a non sequitur.

What causes the scenario where the more work you do for someone, the more favors and things you do for them, the worse they treat you. I've never understood this. Has anyone else experienced this at work, or in life?

Yes, I daresay we all have.
If you make yourself useful, you will be used. -lisab

I thought by making myself useful it would help me to keep my job. Was my reasoning flawed?

Yes, flawed, you are naive, but it's understandable.
What you have to understand is that You don't owe anyone anything. Your job is to do what ever it is that is written in your contract. Licking your supervisor's boots, figuratively speaking, is definitely NOT part of your job description.
You have to stand up for yourself, buddy. You command No respect with your current attitude.

Let me give you an example:
You and both your supervisor know how the game really works, you agree to help him with his work as a Favor. Maybe he'll bring you some minced meat pies, who knows.
That is all great and good. You give and you get.

Now, when you do what ever it is you are told like a horse that goes anywhere the master directs, you just give. You gain nothing. You want to be that horse? Some of us like animals and yade yade yade, but most people use the horse to get from point A to point B.

What causes the scenario where the more work you do for someone, the more favors and things you do for them, the worse they treat you.
What causes this? Being self-centered on the part of the taker, and being inexperienced on the part of the giver. In an ideal situation each person would lend a helping hand or do a favor when it's needed, and would in turn get some help and/or favors at other times. That's not the way the world works, though, because there are a lot of people who don't consider anyone's needs but their own. This is a flaw in their character.

The situation you have described is analogous to a herd of reindeer and a pack of wolves. Which animals do the wolves prefer to go after? The very young animals and the old, sick animals; that is, the weak ones that aren't able to defend themselves. It's too much work to go after the strong ones.
Omega Supreme said:
I've never understood this. Has anyone else experienced this at work, or in life?

Is it normal to be disliked, despised, and hated by one of your co-workers even if you've done nothing to them. They just took an instant dislike to you, bordering on hatred, for no reason. And you help them and they still don't like you, or maybe treat you worse when you help them.

Is it normal to be disliked, despised, and hated by one of your co-workers even if you've done nothing to them. They just took an instant dislike to you, bordering on hatred, for no reason. And you help them and they still don't like you, or maybe treat you worse when you help them.
No, I don't think the situation you describe is normal, but there are all kinds of people in the world. Without knowing the other guy's side of the story (the 2nd shift lead), it's hard to know why he has taken such a dislike to you. It's possible that he feels threatened by your abilities and feels that you will rise in the organization at his expense. If this happened to me, I would sit down with him and ask him why he is behaving the way he is. From your previous posts in this thread, it seems that confronting problems head-on is difficult for you.

You have a responsibility to your supervisor on the first shift, but not to the second shift lead, regardless of whether he outranks you. You should not have to do the work for the second shift guy, especially when he takes credit for it without acknowledging your part in this work.

Have you scheduled a meeting with your supervisor to apprise him of the situtation? If not, be sure to let him know that you need clarification about what work you should be doing - the work your supervisor gives you or the work that the second shift lead foists off on you.

I'm not sure what you hope to get out of this thread, if you don't take some action to change things. I agree completely with what Evo said in post 10:
Evo said:
It's up to you, either you really wish to have this stopped, or the extra work is arranged for according to company policy. or you find another job.

Likes nuuskur
What shift would increase the likelihood of staying employed? Early morning to afternoon, afternoon to evening, or evening to late night?

Unless you start standing up for yourself, you will constantly be unhappy and anxious. Don't be weak. Take control of your life and start searching for a new job (even if it is hard), and after you found something, report everything to management.

And no, this isn't "part of being human" and YES the other guy is a piece of garbage. The more he is allowed to operate with impunity, the more damage he will do to other people. Document his offenses, and report him ASAP. Also what's this stuff about you caring if he gets into trouble? You should be happy to get some revenge.

Grow up, stand up for yourself and STOP doing other people's work.

Likes Silicon Waffle and Mark44
My manager ignores my requests for fixing things. He doesn't answer my calls. Even my toilet broke and his repairman ai he woul not come until the next day. It seems like people don't respect me in general.

Likes Silicon Waffle
I don't have the confidence to look for another job. I'm not very smart and people know that, and take advantage and use that.

I'm willing to work for below market average. During my evaluations I even say I'm willing to work for less money.

It appears you have a major confidence issue as you keep talking yourself down. "not very smart"? Compared to who? If I understand you right, you have an engineering degree and to get that you must to be intelligent. Also WHY is everyone else wanting your help if you are not smart??? No, people take advantage of you because you don't hit back. I suggest you get out of that toxic workplace and try to find something better because you deserve it (and if I were you I'd make a hell of a scene when delivering my resignation). And the next time somebody tries to take advantage of you, react aggressively and with hostility; then nobody will mistake you for a wimp.

"I'm willing to work for less money"? Why would you not deserve a fair wage like everyone else? Especially when you do quality work?

Honestly, I think you have serious self-image issues and I believe you need to work at this. Instead of complaining here about how horrible you are (which is complete untrue: you are a classic example of somebody suffering from cogntitive distortion https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_distortion), you need to toughen up and get self respect, and do not let other people take advantage of you. In my opinion maybe you should consider contacting close friends or family, or the health services and try to find a therapist who could help coach you. Just remember though, if you don't like the therapist don't hesitate to switch.

Last edited:
Likes Silicon Waffle
I'm willing to work for below market average. During my evaluations I even say I'm willing to work for less money.
I have a co-worker working in IT, I think he has been suffering from minor ADHD . I only heard the term "crackpot" on PF and didn't understand what scientists here truly meant with it until I met him in my job. I never hate him, but never think we can cooperate more. I also learn from this fortune that I should never poke my nose in any fields for which I have not ever experienced for YEARS or been seriously certified. So I remind myself to be always humble, because there are truly best ones, and the best of the best.

Will getting a girlfriend help me to stay employed? Is it true behind every successful man there is a woman?

Now, what do I need to become one of the hottest engineers in the country?
What shift would increase the likelihood of staying employed? Early morning to afternoon, afternoon to evening, or evening to late night?
Will getting a girlfriend help me to stay employed? Is it true behind every successful man there is a woman?
In light of the situation you have described at work, these questions don't address the real problem, and are frivolous. My gut feeling is that you are doing nothing more than trolling here, so I am closing this thread. If that's not the case, please send me a PM.

Thread closed.

Likes Silicon Waffle