Exploring a Conformal Transformation Between 2-D Space-Times

In summary, In 1+1 dimensions with n>1, Penrose diagrams only work if there's symmetry. In 2 dimensions the Gaussian curvature (K) can be directly derived from the Riemann curvature (R) by K=-R. There is no isometry between those two spaces. However, conformal transformations are only angle preserving and do not preserve distances. So I believe that there must be a conformal transformation.
honeytrap
I have two 2-dimensional space-times. One of them is flat the other one has not-vanishing curvature (Riemann tensor). But they seem to have a similar global and causal structure.
Of course, because of the 2-dimensional case they are local conformally flat.

I am looking for a relation between them that could explain the similar causal structure and I think that a conformal transformation would be nice.

1) How do I know (prove) whether there exists a (global) conformal transformation between them?
Is there a way to prove that there exists one (I do not need the transformation mapping itself, only the proof of existence)?

2) Are there other global properties of space-times that are worth discussing? What are the
typical global properties (my guess: Horizons, causal light cone structure...what else)?

Physics news on Phys.org

By 2-dimensional, you mean 1+1?

I guess conical singularities are not possible in 1+1 dimensions, so there's probably no way to get any singularities of any kind.

In n+1 dimensions with n>1, Penrose diagrams only work if there's symmetry. In 1+1 dimensions, I guess you should be able to represent the entire conformal structure using a Penrose diagram, regardless of symmetry. Have you tried drawing Penrose diagrams?

Are they asymptotically flat?

By 2-dimensions I mean a 2-dim manifold with Lorentz metric (-,+).

As a mathematician, I am not familiar with the Penrose diagrams, so I didn't draw them.
I thought there might be a necessary requirement/ premise or assumption so that we can conclude a "conformal relation".

But, what kind of information would a Penrose diagram reveal?
-> Provided the Penrose diagrams are identical, would that be a "proof" for a conformal relation (or causal and global similarity) between those two spacetimes?

If so, it would probably make sense to learn about the Penrose diagrams.Here are the two spacetimes/ metrics that seem to have the same global and causal properties:
http://tbf.me/a/OikJJ

They are not asymptotically flat because of the identification of one coordinate; I call it asymptotically flat under identification. But without the identification they would be both asymptotically flat.

bcrowell said:
By 2-dimensional, you mean 1+1?

I guess conical singularities are not possible in 1+1 dimensions, so there's probably no way to get any singularities of any kind.

In n+1 dimensions with n>1, Penrose diagrams only work if there's symmetry. In 1+1 dimensions, I guess you should be able to represent the entire conformal structure using a Penrose diagram, regardless of symmetry. Have you tried drawing Penrose diagrams?

Are they asymptotically flat?

i) Sorry, I posted the wrong metrics. Here are the correct two metrics:
http://tbf.me/a/Bu4jVZii) Here are the two penrose diagrams (I believe they are correct):
http://tbf.me/a/BntYLL

In both diagrams the red line is a horizon (chronology/ cauchy).
Could someone help me read/ compare the diagrams?
Do the diagrams show that both spacetimes have the same causal and global structure (which should be the case)? Why?

THANK YOU!

Last edited:

honeytrap said:
I have two 2-dimensional space-times. One of them is flat the other one has not-vanishing curvature (Riemann tensor). But they seem to have a similar global and causal structure.
Of course, because of the 2-dimensional case they are local conformally flat.

I am looking for a relation between them that could explain the similar causal structure and I think that a conformal transformation would be nice.

1) How do I know (prove) whether there exists a (global) conformal transformation between them?
Is there a way to prove that there exists one (I do not need the transformation mapping itself, only the proof of existence)?
Isn't curvature of 2-dimensional manifold a Gaussian curvature?
And if so then I believe you can't have global transformation between flat and curved space that preserves distances and angles. Or maybe conformal transformation requires only preservation of angles but not distances?

zonde said:

But isn't that only in a Riemannian space?

zonde said:
And if so then I believe you can't have global transformation between flat and curved space that preserves distances and angles. Or maybe conformal transformation requires only preservation of angles but not distances?

Yes, in 2 dimensions the Gaussian curvature (K) can be directly derived from the Riemann curvature (R) by K=-R.
Thus, there is no isometry between those two spaces. But conformal transformations are only angle preserving and do not preserve distances. So I believe that there must be a conformal transformation.
(?)

honeytrap said:
Yes, in 2 dimensions the Gaussian curvature (K) can be directly derived from the Riemann curvature (R) by K=-R.
Thus, there is no isometry between those two spaces. But conformal transformations are only angle preserving and do not preserve distances. So I believe that there must be a conformal transformation.
(?)
Hmm, obviously you can't have conformal transformation between surface of sphere and flat plane so I believe there should be additional conditions to allow for conformal transformation.

Another thought. Before you look for a proof that (under certain conditions) there is conformal transformation between the two it would be reasonable to look if it works for some simple case, right?

bcrowell said:
But isn't that only in a Riemannian space?
I am not sure what is Riemannian space.
I asked about this because I believe I more or less understand what is Gaussian curvature so I tried to tie the question with the thing that I know.

zonde said:
Hmm, obviously you can't have conformal transformation between surface of sphere and flat plane so I believe there should be additional conditions to allow for conformal transformation.

This is false. The surface of a sphere is conformally flat, so a conformal transform. can turn it to a flat plane.

TrickyDicky said:
This is false. The surface of a sphere is conformally flat, so a conformal transform. can turn it to a flat plane.
Indeed. Turns out this can be done using stereographic projection.

1. What is a conformal transformation?

A conformal transformation is a mapping between two geometric spaces that preserves angles. In other words, it maintains the relative shape and orientation of objects within the spaces. This is often represented mathematically using complex numbers and is useful in studying space-times in physics.

2. How is a conformal transformation different from other types of transformations?

A conformal transformation is unique in that it preserves angles, while other transformations such as translations, rotations, and dilations do not. This means that the overall shape and orientation of objects within the space are not changed, only the scale or size may be altered.

3. How is a conformal transformation applied to 2-D space-times?

In 2-D space-times, a conformal transformation can be represented by a complex-valued function that maps points from one space-time to another. The transformation is applied to the coordinates of points in the original space-time, resulting in a new set of coordinates in the transformed space-time.

4. What are some applications of conformal transformations in science?

Conformal transformations have many applications in science, particularly in physics and mathematics. They are used to study space-times in general relativity and to solve problems in complex analysis. They also have applications in computer graphics, where they are used to create realistic 3-D images and animations.

5. Are there any limitations to using conformal transformations?

While conformal transformations are a powerful tool in studying space-times, they do have some limitations. For example, they cannot be used to map between spaces with different topologies. Additionally, in some cases, the transformation may result in singularities or infinite values, which can make the results of the transformation difficult to interpret.