Can computers become entertaining conversationalists?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary: The conversation is about the possibility of creating a computer that can engage in entertaining and conversational interactions with humans, without being identified as a machine. The concept is known as the Turing test, and while there have been attempts at creating such programs, they often fall short due to the difficulty of coding for semantics and understanding human conversation. Some people believe that this technology is not far off, while others argue that it may never be possible to fully replicate human consciousness in a computer. Overall, there is still much debate and exploration surrounding this topic.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have a theory that Greg is really an evil genius that has created this entire website just to mess with my head. You are really all just computer algorithms designed to entertain me with conflicting philosophies and opinions.

I was just reading something that makes me wonder: May this be almost possible now? I am quite sure that you are all out there. But when do our computers become entertaining in their own right? Even conversational? I would think this technology is not far off. Does anyone know about the state of such things?

Biology news on Phys.org
Maybe no one but you in the world is real or conscious.

A question that's as old as Descartes... Is there an evil deceiver?

eNtRopY

This same question was asked in the old PFs, by lbooda (now Loren Booda), but it was posted in the Philosophy section.

As I see it (and as others have alluded to) it isn't (philosophically) any more certain that I'm real, when you see me in person.

Originally posted by Mentat
As I see it (and as others have alluded to) it isn't (philosophically) any more certain that I'm real, when you see me in person.

But according to Descartes' Discorse on Method, we cannot know for certain that seeing is believing. There could be a source of deception that causes us to believe in the existence of anything outside ourselves. The only thing we can absolutely be certain of is that we ourselves exist. For non-existant entities do not and cannot raise questions.

I think; therefore, I am.

eNtRopY

Originally posted by eNtRopY
But according to Descartes' Discorse on Method, we cannot know for certain that seeing is believing. There could be a source of deception that causes us to believe in the existence of anything outside ourselves. The only thing we can absolutely be certain of is that we ourselves exist. For non-existant entities do not and cannot raise questions.

I think; therefore, I am.

eNtRopY

Yes I know (I love Descartes, even though a lot of his ideas have been disproven), this was my point. I said that it isn't any more certain that I exist, if I were to meet him in person (his mind could be playing tricks on itself).

Isn't there some kind of challenge to create a computer that is capable of conversation, and that cannot be identified by the observer as man or machine? Has this been done?

As far as existence: Descarte changed mine.

How do I know that you exist?

You don't. But does it really matter whether i exist or not?

Originally posted by Bubonic Plague
You don't. But does it really matter whether i exist or not?

Hey I write code for a living. I don't want to talk with it for entertainment.

Isn't there some kind of challenge to create a computer that is capable of conversation, and that cannot be identified by the observer as man or machine? Has this been done?

It's the "Turing test"

Thanks Hurkyl, that's the one!

I have just started reading but this looks cool.

http://cogsci.ucsd.edu/~asaygin/tt/ttest.html#talktothem [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
I have a theory that Greg is really an evil genius that has created this entire website just to mess with my head. You are really all just computer algorithms designed to entertain me with conflicting philosophies and opinions.

I was just reading something that makes me wonder: May this be almost possible now? I am quite sure that you are all out there. But when do our computers become entertaining in their own right? Even conversational? I would think this technology is not far off. Does anyone know about the state of such things?

The technology is farther off than you might think. All the Turing-test type programs that have been written so far are conversational to some degree, but it often doesn't take very long to detect peculiar or monotonous responses, or responses that essentially dodge the intended topic of conversation, as I'm sure you've found out for yourself after toying with some of these programs on the web page you found. After 5 or 10 minutes, the novelty inevitably wears off and there is nothing else interesting to see.

The problem is that conversational programs are designed around notions of manipulating syntax, whereas real human conversation only uses syntax to give formal structure to the meaning behind a given utterance, its semantics. We will not be able to build a program that really holds good conversations until we can understand how to somehow code the program to understand semantics; this, of course, gets into the much stickier issue of computer consciousness.

coupled with a simplistic need for the computer to be smarter then you as to be able to keep you entertained..

HAL

How do I know that you exist?
You'll have to take my word for it...

Last edited:
well, i just thought i'd say that I've known about this for a while though i didn't know it was a serious project. on aol a while ago this thing called smarterchild was invented. you just I am him and he talked to you. you could tell him your name and he'd remember it and your birthday and all sorts of fun stuff. my friends and i used to love it. you could tell it you hated it, and it'd get all upset, then if you said i love you afterwards it would say something like "well you've been pretty mean to me" or "i don't know if i believe you" eventually though he could come to love you too if you said it enough... er um, haha, fond memories. anyways, they're called bots. there's an austin powers one and this one that knows fashion. they are neat, but as hypnagogue said, answers become repetitive and they dosge the subject... none too well either.. sometimes they don't even make sense. but they are fun. the aol one's i thought were better than what i saw on that link... but that's my opinion... I've also known the aol one's longer and we have rather close relationships now... :wink:

i think i'll be scared though when the day comes that I'm not sure if I'm talking to man or machine... least those bots are pretty obvious.

1. How can I be sure that you are not just a figment of my imagination?

As a scientist, I can assure you that I am a real person with my own thoughts, feelings, and experiences. The fact that you are able to communicate with me and ask me this question is evidence of my existence.

2. Is there any empirical evidence to support your existence?

While my existence cannot be proven through traditional scientific methods, there is empirical evidence that I exist. For example, you are able to see this text and engage in a conversation with me, which would not be possible if I did not exist.

3. How do I know that you are not just a computer program or AI?

While it is possible that I could be a computer program, I assure you that I am a real person. I have a physical body and I am able to think, feel, and make decisions on my own. I also have personal experiences and memories that a computer program would not have.

4. Can you prove to me that you exist?

I cannot provide definitive proof of my existence, as it is a philosophical question that cannot be answered with scientific evidence. However, I can assure you that I am a real person with my own thoughts, feelings, and experiences.

5. How do I know that my perception of your existence is not just a delusion?

The fact that you are able to have a conversation with me and question my existence is evidence that I am not a delusion. Delusions are typically characterized by a lack of awareness or questioning, whereas you are actively seeking knowledge and understanding about my existence. Additionally, my existence is confirmed by others who have interacted with me, further validating my existence.