How do I know who is referring to me?

• Thread starter Reshma
  • Start date
In summary, you registered for this forum a few months ago and your account is linked to another forum.
Reshma
I just noticed on my profile, Referrals: 6 . Just a few days ago, it showed 4. I don't ever remember giving my PF ID to anyone, so how do I know who is referring to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't answer your question about knowing who referred you (I don't know if that's something logged for the admins to see), but I think someone else explained not long ago that when someone signs up, they can type in a username of someone who referred them instead of signing up by following the link with your ID number in it. If you don't know anyone who knows your username either, I guess it could be that someone liked what they saw in a post of yours and listed you as the person referring them without really knowing you otherwise.

It is me, I have been messing with your head a bit :smile:

Do you have only one username here? :biggrin:

Thanks, Moonbear! I suppose this cleared some of my doubts.
mattmns said:
It is me, I have been messing with your head a bit :smile:
I should have known :rofl: .

Hello,
I just received an email about this forum. I decided to check it out and went to registration and found I am already registered here. Is this forum directly connected to another forum I might already be registered to? I am not particularly or formally educated in math or science, but I am interested. V

Vossistarts said:
Hello,
I just received an email about this forum. I decided to check it out and went to registration and found I am already registered here. Is this forum directly connected to another forum I might already be registered to? I am not particularly or formally educated in math or science, but I am interested. V
You made the following reply a few months back:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=538834&postcount=7

1. How can I track who is referring to me?

There are a few different methods you can use to track who is referring to you. One option is to use a tool like Google Analytics to track website traffic and referral sources. Another option is to regularly search for your name or brand on search engines and social media platforms to see if anyone is mentioning you. You can also set up Google Alerts to notify you when your name or brand is mentioned online.

2. Is it important to know who is referring to me?

Yes, it can be important to know who is referring to you. Understanding your referral sources can help you identify potential partnerships and collaborations, as well as monitor your online reputation. It can also give you insights into your target audience and how they are finding your brand.

3. Can I control who is referring to me?

While you cannot directly control who is referring to you, you can influence it through your online presence and marketing efforts. By creating quality content, engaging with your audience, and building relationships with other brands and influencers, you can increase the likelihood of positive referrals.

4. What should I do if I discover negative referrals?

If you come across negative referrals, it's important to address them promptly and professionally. Reach out to the source of the referral and try to understand their concerns. If appropriate, offer a solution or apology. You can also respond publicly to the referral to clear up any misunderstandings and show that you are actively addressing the issue.

5. Are there any ethical considerations when tracking referrals?

Yes, there are ethical considerations to keep in mind when tracking referrals. Make sure to respect people's privacy and only use information that is publicly available or given with consent. Avoid manipulating referral sources or creating fake referrals for your own benefit. Be transparent about how you are tracking referrals and always give credit where credit is due.