1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I learn math faster?

1. Feb 6, 2016 #1
    I do not know who is going to answer this question but I am in great need of an answer to this question.I suffered so many failures in math exams and it has been discouraging me and putting me in depressed state.An apt answer from you people for this question would mean world to me.I keep doing a particular problem again and again.I tend to forget the logic involved in the math problem very soon.It's only after 4 to 5 times of doing the same problem that I get to know what really it means.
    I wanna learn math faster so that I could spend some valuable time in my passion for sports.
    I get A's but the thing is I struggle harder than other kids to get that A.
    Thanks a ton.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2016 #2

QuantumQuest

Gold Member

There are many people, at various ages, struggling with math, for a multitude of reasons. I think that what is good to try, is keeping calm and focused. You should understand well what the problem gives as data and what asks for, and sketch a path in your mind of how is better to tackle this. You should also abandon any prejudice against math and previous failures. Many times in our life, we treat things as enemies, just because we have the wrong impression about them, no matter how. As soon as we change this, we live a better life.

4. Feb 6, 2016 #3
    Well that is true.I must change my perception first.

5. Feb 6, 2016 #4
    Peter Selby, Steve Slavin-Practical Algebra_ A Self-Teaching Guide-John Wiley & Sons (1991)

this is a nice book to get started ...

6. Feb 6, 2016 #5

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Do you know why you struggle? or more correctly what you're struggling with and when? are you trying to multi-task with your phone?

Ask yourself is it easier to do your work before or after sports? or in the morning vs evening vs between classes?

My brother did poorly in math until I noticed he was constantiy redoing his work because the check he performed didn't agree with the answer he got.

It turned out that he made mistakes in his check and then redid and adjusted his answer getting it wrong. This occurred on not just one problem but many so my advice was to look at the check more carefully for your mistake and it made a huge difference.

In my case, I would sometimes struggle with the formulas trying to remember them when trying to solve a problem especially trig identities. I came up with a strategy of deriving them as needed and memorizing less. Also when I'd start a test I'd write the key formulas down at the top of my page or I'd draw a stick figure that represented the formula some how and then I had a point of reference to go back to when I got stuck.

The trick is you need to watch yourself doing the work and see where you are inefficient or when you get distracted. I had a bad habit of doing homework in front of the TV (the internet of the day) and it took me twice as long to do the math and I'm sure it didn't stick as well either.

Lastly, there are a couple of good websites with short videos on various math topics such as Khan's Academy and MathIsPower4U where you can review specific concepts.

Remember its just like sports some people are gifted and some people have to work hard to succeed. Its also good you're following the Greek ideal a good athlete with good grades.

7. Feb 6, 2016 #6
    I don't watch TV or anything while doing math.I would just be scared that I won't be able to do a particular problem if I don't practice it again and again.I just have to change my belief system,I guess.

8. Feb 7, 2016 #7
    Well my problem is not just with algebra but with almost everything like geometry,areas and volumes,trigonometry etc.. in math.A guide for making math fun to learn might be useful.O:-)

9. Feb 8, 2016 #8
    Geometry and Trigonometry for Calculus: A Self-Teaching Guide Peter H. Selby

and ...

How to Ace Calculus: The Streetwise Guide

both are good books ...

you can try to get these books from some online stores near you ...

10. Feb 8, 2016 #9

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

I think you missed the point of my post. You need to look at everything you do when you're doing math and ask yourself is there a faster way? I just gave some examples but its different for each person.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook