Struggling in Physics 1? Learn the Best Study Strategies for Success Now!

• Thread starter JJRKnights
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the physics professor is trying to teach the class but the student is having difficulty understanding the concepts. The student suggests that drawing is essential for understanding the concepts and that understanding the concepts first is key to solving the problems. The student is currently enrolled in a class using a different textbook that does not have explanations for the upcoming problems. The student reports that this approach has helped them learn the concepts.
JJRKnights
It's halfway through the semester, I have a F/D(if I am lucky) in my physics 1 class(calc based), and I haven't learned a thing from the professor nor teaching myself. I can't even do one problem without looking at a guide or somebody else's work. I am really good with calculus, but I can't learn physics at all... One week straight I studied 6 hours a day, I don't remember anything that I reviewed and the problems I was doing.

Why is this class so hard?

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics deals with a lot of diagrams, etc..., so did you try drawing from memory? Also, when you study do you read a concept and try to understand that concept before moving onto the next one? From my studies in harder classes, understanding first is key then moving onto the problems associated with the concepts involved. I am wondering whether you used something similar in your approach to studying physics?

Drawing is essential in my opinion because it will help you get an intuition on what the problem is suggesting and you can develop an approach to solving it.

I always do free body diagrams for every problem, I correctly label everything(usually) and then I get stuck. It just seems like there are too many different types of problems in physics for me to comprehend how to do it case by case. The book in itself has no explanation to the upcoming problems at the end of the chapter, I'm using Physics for Scientists and Engineers, Serway and Jewett eighth edition. They just throw down a bunch of equations and graphs, have a couple of examples but no real explanations that I can understand.

I'm in the same class right now (using University Physics 13th edition) and I've learned that concepts are the absolute key for me. You may want to find some people to start a study group with. You can all go through the problems out loud. If you can teach it, then you fully understand the concept, and then you can do it. This has helped me a lot...Good luck man.

I understand the frustration and difficulty you are facing in your Physics 1 class. It can be challenging to learn a subject that is new and unfamiliar, especially when it involves complex concepts and calculations. However, I want to reassure you that with the right study strategies and mindset, you can overcome these challenges and find success in your class.

First and foremost, it is important to understand that Physics is a subject that requires a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly calculus. It is great that you are confident in your calculus skills, as it will be a valuable asset in understanding and solving physics problems. However, it is also essential to have a solid understanding of the fundamental principles and concepts of physics. You may want to review these concepts and make sure you have a clear understanding of them before moving on to more complex problems.

Additionally, it is crucial to have a good study plan and stick to it consistently. Six hours of studying in one week may not be enough to fully grasp the material in a challenging class like Physics 1. I recommend breaking up your study sessions into smaller chunks, spread out over the week. This will give your brain time to process and retain the information. Also, try to incorporate different study techniques, such as practicing problems, making flashcards, or teaching the material to someone else. These methods can help reinforce your understanding and improve retention.

Furthermore, it may be beneficial to seek help from your professor or a tutor. They can provide additional explanations and guidance on challenging concepts and help you work through problems. It is also helpful to study with classmates and discuss problems together. This can not only help you understand the material better, but it can also give you a different perspective on how to approach problems.

Lastly, it is essential to have a positive mindset and not get discouraged by setbacks. Learning a new subject takes time and effort, and it is normal to struggle along the way. Instead of focusing on your current grade, try to focus on the progress you are making and the effort you are putting in. With determination and perseverance, I am confident that you can improve in your Physics 1 class.

In conclusion, Physics 1 can be a challenging class, but with the right study strategies and mindset, you can overcome these difficulties and find success. Keep practicing, seeking help when needed, and staying positive, and I am sure you will see improvement in your understanding and grades.

1. What are the best study strategies for success in Physics 1?

The best study strategies for success in Physics 1 include:

• Attending all lectures and taking thorough notes
  • Practicing problems regularly and seeking help when needed
  • Using supplemental materials such as textbooks, online resources, and study guides
  • Forming study groups with classmates to discuss and review material
  • Staying organized and managing time effectively

2. How can I improve my understanding of difficult concepts in Physics 1?

To improve understanding of difficult concepts in Physics 1, try the following:

• Break down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable parts
  • Use visual aids such as diagrams and graphs to better understand the material
  • Ask questions and seek clarification from the professor or classmates
  • Utilize online resources and practice problems to reinforce understanding
  • Review and summarize material after each lecture or study session

3. What can I do if I am struggling with the math involved in Physics 1?

If you are struggling with the math involved in Physics 1, consider the following tips:

• Review basic math concepts and equations before starting the course
  • Take advantage of resources such as tutoring or office hours with the professor
  • Practice solving math problems regularly to improve skills
  • Use a calculator or online tools to double check calculations
  • Don't be afraid to ask for help or clarification when needed

4. How can I manage my time effectively when studying for Physics 1?

To manage your time effectively when studying for Physics 1, try the following:

• Create a study schedule and stick to it
  • Break down larger tasks into smaller, more manageable chunks
  • Prioritize studying for difficult or upcoming exams
  • Eliminate distractions and find a quiet study space
  • Take breaks and avoid studying for long periods of time without breaks

5. What should I do if I am still struggling in Physics 1 despite my efforts?

If you are still struggling in Physics 1 despite your efforts, consider the following options:

• Talk to the professor about your concerns and see if there are any additional resources or accommodations available
  • Consider seeking tutoring or joining a study group
  • Review your study habits and make necessary adjustments
  • Take advantage of any extra credit opportunities
  • Remember to stay positive and keep trying, as improvement takes time and effort