1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do i make a FAN?

1. Oct 20, 2004 #1
    hey, i am a year 11 student, we have an assignment where we must build a fan (non electric) that will spin once wind from a wind tunnel in blown onto it.....Now i know this may sound rather simple, and it probably is....but i am just looking for some guidlines on how to make a fan that will WORK. Any help or links to other websites would be much appreciated. Thanks for your help in case i dont get a chance to reply :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2004 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Not much to it is there? Vanes to catch the wind- at an angle so that the wind pushes them in a given direction. An axles without too much friction.

4. Oct 20, 2004 #3
    Try here:
    http://www.creative-science.org.uk/windmill1.html
    This si for a large windmill, but you can size it down and use stiff paper (like a manilla folder). It's easy to do, take about an hour.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?