How Do I Make a Grossly Overexpanded Rocket Nozzle Exhaust Jet Stable?

In summary, the conversation discusses the efficiency and stability of grossly overexpanded rocket nozzles. It is suggested that a potential solution to the instability could be a two-stage nozzle that converges at the throat, diverges into gross overexpansion, and then releases into a second nozzle. However, it is also noted that controlling the unstable flow separation would be difficult. There is a source cited that mentions the efficiency of overexpanded nozzles, but it is unclear if it is referring to grossly overexpanded nozzles. It is also mentioned that while a grossly overexpanded nozzle may have a higher net thrust, it may also result in a slower exhaust jet.
nitronewt
I have a question regarding the design of rocket nozzles. I am not an engineer nor a physicist but I am involved in amateur experimental rocketry and I was curious regarding grossly overexpanded nozzles.

599px-Rocket_nozzle_expansion.svg.png

According to Wikipedia a grossly overexpanded rocket nozzle (very bottom of the above image) burns more efficiently but the exhaust jet is not stable. I would assume that is because in the case of a grossly overexpanded nozzle, the jet flows more freely but maintaining pressurization within the motor casing and thus creating an even burn rate becomes a problem. I might be fundamentally wrong on this assumption, but, assuming the above is correct, theoretically couldn't you make a nozzle that converges on the throat, diverges into gross overexpansion, and then releases into a sort of second nozzle. I guess I'm thinking like a two-stage nozzle that will capture the efficiency of gross overexpansion, but fix the problem of engine pressurization and unstable exhaust jet.

Please feel free to correct any and all misconceptions above.

Physics news on Phys.org
Where is the source that says that a grossly underexpanded nozzle is the most efficient? I have never heard of that and it seems quite counter-intuitive given that it means that the nozzle is unstarted and will likely have a subsonic exhaust.

According to the Wikipedia article, it cites this as the source

Huzel, D. K. and Huang, D. H. (1971). NASA SP-125, Design of Liquid Propellant Rocket Engines (2nd Edition ed.). NASA.Technical report

Well I've browsed a bit but haven't found anywhere it would say that yet. Generally, though, if the nozzle is started, there is no information about the flow downstream of the throat that can propagate upstream to affect the combustion occurring in the combustion chamber. Basically, information in a fluid propagates as sound waves, and since the flow downstream of the throat is supersonic, whether the flow is underexpanded, overexpaned or operating at condition has no effect on anything upstream since disturbances emitted in that region can't move faster than the air is already moving downstream. So, in other words, I find it quite hard to believe that combustion efficiency would be higher for a grossly overexpanded nozzle.

Regarding stabilizing the jet, the problem is that the unstable jet results from unstead flow separation, and that would be extraordinarily difficult to control. It depends on so many parameters that you would need to find some way to fix the location, and the only way this is typically done for a turbulent flow such as this is through protrusions in the flow that create a local pressure gradient that separates the boundary layer (for example the spoiler on the Audi TT). The problem is that thin, sharp features in a flow like this would quickly ablate away.

I suspect that the author means that the grossly overexpanded nozzle is more efficient relative to the overexpanded nozzle that still has attached flow (since in effect, the flow detaching from the nozzle walls serves to decrease the effective expansion ratio). It definitely won't be more efficient than an ideally expanded nozzle though.

Sure it will decrease the effective expansion ratio, but then you will end up with a slower exhaust jet, which would certainly seem counterproductive here since the overall mass flow is still staying the same.

boneh3ad said:
Sure it will decrease the effective expansion ratio, but then you will end up with a slower exhaust jet, which would certainly seem counterproductive here since the overall mass flow is still staying the same.

Sure, but you'll also end up with a higher net thrust, since the slower exhaust jet will be more than offset by the fact that you don't have an enormously negative pressure thrust term (due to the extremely low pressure across the nozzle).

1. How does the design of a rocket nozzle affect the stability of its exhaust jet?

The design of a rocket nozzle plays a crucial role in the stability of its exhaust jet. An overexpanded nozzle, where the exit area is larger than the optimal size, can cause the exhaust jet to become unstable and oscillate. This can lead to decreased performance and potential damage to the rocket.

2. What factors contribute to an overexpanded rocket nozzle exhaust jet becoming unstable?

There are several factors that can contribute to an overexpanded rocket nozzle exhaust jet becoming unstable. These include the nozzle geometry, flow rate, and ambient pressure. It is important to carefully consider all of these factors when designing a rocket nozzle to ensure stability.

3. How can I make a grossly overexpanded rocket nozzle exhaust jet stable?

To make a grossly overexpanded rocket nozzle exhaust jet stable, the first step is to optimize the nozzle design. This includes adjusting the exit area to be closer to the optimal size and ensuring smooth and uniform flow through the nozzle. Additionally, using active control techniques such as thrust vectoring or gas injection can help stabilize the exhaust jet.

4. Can the stability of a grossly overexpanded rocket nozzle exhaust jet be improved with materials or coatings?

While materials and coatings can play a role in improving the stability of a rocket nozzle exhaust jet, they are not a standalone solution. The primary focus should be on optimizing the nozzle design and incorporating active control techniques. However, using materials or coatings that can withstand high temperatures and reduce surface roughness can help improve the overall stability of the exhaust jet.

5. How important is it to test and validate the stability of an overexpanded rocket nozzle exhaust jet?

Testing and validating the stability of an overexpanded rocket nozzle exhaust jet is crucial for ensuring safe and successful rocket launches. This can be done through computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulations, wind tunnel testing, and actual flight tests. It is essential to thoroughly test and validate the nozzle design and stability before launching a rocket to avoid potential failures.