How do I make a lan?

Evo
Mentor
Just remember, if it's free it probably isn't worth much.
They're the largest DSL provider in the US and the tech support is excellent. And it's free. I've never had internet service where I had to pay for tech support, but I only use a top provider and at prices starting at $14.99 a month you can't beat it. My DSL modem started giving me problems after almost a year and they overnighted a new one to me for free.

russ_watters
Mentor
the other day, my kid was messing around with my laptop and after that when i tried to connect to the internet using my broadband cable the web browser would keep saying no connection found. So i opened up my network connections and found that the LAN network was missing. After that i tried to create a new one but couldn't. So could anyone direct me in the correct direction. Thanks
You can try running the network setup wizard in accessories->communications, but without more info, it is tough to know what the problem really is.

Evo
Mentor
I started with a Linksys hub and then replaced it with a router. I thought it was still a LAN. All the PC's are in the same working group. I think even some of the literature I use still refers to it as a LAN. All I know is that the PC's communicate with each other, and each can access the internet independently.
Yes, you're correct, what you have is a LAN (local area network). A LAN is just two or more computers connected together.

Sorry it took me over a year to set that straight.

Which is why merchant89 needs to call his ISP tech support, they may just need to tell him what boxes to check off in his preferences, he may not even have a LAN.

Last edited:
I have yet to see good tech support from any company, you can almost always figure it out yourself by surfing the web rather than playing games with these tech support people. So I wouldnt recomend it but thats just me.

Evo
Mentor
I have yet to see good tech support from any company, you can almost always figure it out yourself by surfing the web rather than playing games with these tech support people. So I wouldnt recomend it but thats just me.
Anytime I've had a problem a one minute call to tech support solved the problem. Just some setting that needed rechecking.

Tech support would be the first place I'd start, unless you're using some Brand X ISP that has no clue what they're doing. And those ARE out there.

Again, my advice would be - get off the cruddy Brand X ISP and get a real Tier One provider. They will probably be less expensive, provide better service, and offer more free services.

Last edited:
Again, my advice would be - get off the cruddy Brand X ISP and get a real Tier One provider. They will probably be less expensive, provide better service, and offer more free services.
Unless of course that real Tier one provider is going through the "lets outsource, cause it make so much financial sense" game :)

The cut and dry answer to your question is no you don't need a hub or a switch. All you need is a crossover cable like http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=9449" [Broken].

Microsoft has a lot of information about setting up a home network at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/setup/default.mspx" and if you google around for things like "connect 2 computers crossover cable" you'll get good results.

Last edited by a moderator:
16$ for a cable, wow.. what a waste of money