Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do i measure error?

1. Sep 13, 2014 #1
    sorry for spamming the boards with all these questions lol- i promise this is my last post regarding n body problems. how do i measure error? i cant really find much on this subject. i want to use adaptive stepsize in my n body simulator im guessing for the n-body problem i base my error on energy and angular momentum:
    h(n+1)
    ∫work dt=KEn+1- KEn
    h*n
    h(n+1)
    ∫torque*dt=AMn+1-AMn+1
    h*n
    of course the integrals would be evaluated using simpsons rule, which is equivalent to RK4 in order.
    this gives me 4 equations (actually 4*p where p is the number of particles).
    now the way i see it i can do this 2 ways:

the work divided by kinetic energy gained should equal 1, and if the fraction isnt close enough to one i repeat the step.

or work minus kinetic energy should equal zero, so i could find the difference and if it isnt close enough to 0 i repeat the step.

i think both of them have their advantages and drawbacks, for example if i went the subtraction route, then if the difference is really small it doesnt really matter if im dealing with big numbers.
    on the other hand, if i use division i might end up with divide by zero problems.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2014 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

How you measure "error" will depend a lot on what error you are measuring! You mention "Simpson's rule" for integration and Runge-Kutta fourth order for differential equations. Both of those have well defined error rules:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simpson's_rule- [Broken] The error in approximating an integral by Simpson's rule is
    [tex]\frac{1}{90}\left(\frac{b- a}{2}\right)^5|f(\xi)|^4[/tex]
    Where [itex]\xi[/itex] is a number between a and b. Since we don't know exactly where [itex]\xi]/itex] is, we can say that the error is less than or equal to
    [tex]\frac{1}{90}\left(\frac{b- a}{2}\right)^5M^4[/tex]
    where "M" is an upper bound on |f(x)| between a and b.

For the Runge-Kutta fourth order method: Well, that's much more complicated so I will just give the reference:
    "Runge-Kutt methods with minimum error bounds" by Anthony Ralston
    www.ams.org/.../1962-16-080/S0025-5718-1962-0150954-0/S0025-5718-1962-0150954-0.pdf [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Sep 14, 2014 #3
    well, here im measuring error in velocity and position using the principles of conservation.

i found runge kutta fehlberg. does anybody have any advice on this?
    the optimal step size is given by

(tol*h/(2*|rk4-rk5|))1/4*h
    where tol is tolerance rk4 is the answer derived by the 4th order method and rk5 is the answer derived by the 5th order method and h is step size
    but im measuring both velocity and position, and an error in velocity probably doesnt necessarily correspond to the same error in position.
    do i just multiply the optimal stepsize by h?

5. Sep 15, 2014 #4
    i implemented rkf45, but its horribly innefficient. the reason being i have only figured out how to implement variable time step for the entire system. if i could use different size time steps for each particle it would be much better, but i think im just going to revert back to old fashioned rk4 for now

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook