Can I Post Equations Using Microsoft Word on This Site?

• Thread starter _Andreas
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the best way to include equations in posts on a forum. The options mentioned include attaching a Word document, using LaTeX commands, and using MathType to export equations in LaTeX format. The use of LaTeX is recommended as it allows for immediate posting of readable equations.
_Andreas
I have no idea where I'm supposed to put this post, so I'll try here. Is there any way I can get equations written in Microsoft Word to show up in my posts here? Writing an equation directly in the post, like x=d*y^(1/2) for example, doesn't look very good and can be somewhat difficult to decipher sometimes.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can attach the word document to your post, but others will not be able to view it until a moderator approves it.

A better solution would be to learn the LaTeX commands, which is quite simple one you learn the symbols, and post fancy stuff like [tex]\frac{\partial^2 \psi_i}{\partial t^2}[/tex]. :) With it you can directly post readable equations immediately.

Download the howtolatex and Symbols pdf for reference.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997

Aha! Thanks! I'll try one immediately: [tex]a^x_n[/tex]

Note also that MathType (the full version of Word's built-in equation editor) can export equations to the clipboard in LaTeX format. I don't know if the built-in equation editor can do it also.

In my copy of MathType (Mac OS X) the setting is under Preferences --> Translators.

1. What is the best way to format equations for posting?

The best way to format equations for posting depends on the platform or medium you are using. Some common options include using a mathematical typesetting software, such as LaTeX, or using a built-in equation editor in a word processing program. It is important to follow the guidelines or instructions provided by the platform to ensure proper formatting.

2. Can I use special characters or symbols in my equations?

Yes, you can use special characters and symbols in your equations. However, it is important to use the correct symbols and follow the formatting guidelines for the platform you are using. For example, if you are using LaTeX, you would need to use the appropriate commands for each symbol or character.

3. How do I include equations in a document or presentation?

To include equations in a document or presentation, you can either use a built-in equation editor or insert an image of the equation created in a mathematical typesetting software. It is important to ensure that the equations are clear and legible for your audience.

4. How do I make sure my equations are accurate?

To ensure accuracy in your equations, it is important to double-check your work and use reliable sources for any mathematical or scientific formulas. It can also be helpful to have someone else review your work for any potential errors or typos.

5. Are there any resources available to help me with posting equations?

There are many resources available to help with posting equations, such as online tutorials, forums, and user guides for specific platforms. In addition, many mathematical typesetting software have user communities where you can ask for assistance or clarification on how to properly format equations.