Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I post equations?

1. Apr 6, 2007 #1
    I have no idea where I'm supposed to put this post, so I'll try here. Is there any way I can get equations written in Microsoft Word to show up in my posts here? Writing an equation directly in the post, like x=d*y^(1/2) for example, doesn't look very good and can be somewhat difficult to decipher sometimes.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Read this thread on how to post formulas in our forums.
  4. Apr 6, 2007 #3
    You can attach the word document to your post, but others will not be able to view it until a moderator approves it.

A better solution would be to learn the LaTeX commands, which is quite simple one you learn the symbols, and post fancy stuff like [tex]\frac{\partial^2 \psi_i}{\partial t^2}[/tex]. :) With it you can directly post readable equations immediately.

Download the howtolatex and Symbols pdf for reference.
  5. Apr 6, 2007 #4
    Aha! Thanks! I'll try one immediately: [tex]a^x_n[/tex]
  6. Apr 10, 2007 #5

Staff: Mentor

Note also that MathType (the full version of Word's built-in equation editor) can export equations to the clipboard in LaTeX format. I don't know if the built-in equation editor can do it also.

In my copy of MathType (Mac OS X) the setting is under Preferences --> Translators.
  7. Apr 10, 2007 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?