1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I prepare?

1. Jan 23, 2006 #1
    I have been invited to a math contest that will take place a week from now. Its questions are all essay response (proofs and numerical answers) and it is difficult. I have never written a contest in this format before. How do I prepare for it? And how can I ensure that I am lucid as Euclid on the morning of the exam?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2006 #2

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, you could begin your practise by attempting the previous papers of this exam.

4. Jan 23, 2006 #3
    I was only able to find one (last year's).

5. Jan 23, 2006 #4
    stay up all night and drink a bunch of coffee?

6. Jan 23, 2006 #5

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The efficacy of this method speaks volumes about standardized testing. :tongue2:

I agree with siddharth. Also, you might want to try and match the tests to a textbook. If you can find one with a lot of overlap, then there's a good chance that most of the material on your test will be covered there as well.

7. Jan 23, 2006 #6

rho

Are the questions like the ones in the attached file because i have loads of these if you want them.

Attached Files:

8. Jan 23, 2006 #7
    Yes, they are olympiad style, so I suppose the BMOs would be good practice. You can send them in a zip or rar archive to my e-mail address
    uhiggs(at)gmail.com
    the placed the (at) there in place of @ so it cannot be picked up by spam bot.

Thanks in advance.

9. Jan 24, 2006 #8

rho

Did you get my email?

10. Jan 24, 2006 #9
    Yes, thankyou

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?