Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I prepare?

1. Jan 23, 2006 #1
    I have been invited to a math contest that will take place a week from now. Its questions are all essay response (proofs and numerical answers) and it is difficult. I have never written a contest in this format before. How do I prepare for it? And how can I ensure that I am lucid as Euclid on the morning of the exam?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2006 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, you could begin your practise by attempting the previous papers of this exam.
  4. Jan 23, 2006 #3
    I was only able to find one (last year's).
  5. Jan 23, 2006 #4
    stay up all night and drink a bunch of coffee?
  6. Jan 23, 2006 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The efficacy of this method speaks volumes about standardized testing. :tongue2:

I agree with siddharth. Also, you might want to try and match the tests to a textbook. If you can find one with a lot of overlap, then there's a good chance that most of the material on your test will be covered there as well.
  7. Jan 23, 2006 #6

Are the questions like the ones in the attached file because i have loads of these if you want them.

Attached Files:

8. Jan 23, 2006 #7
    Yes, they are olympiad style, so I suppose the BMOs would be good practice. You can send them in a zip or rar archive to my e-mail address
    the placed the (at) there in place of @ so it cannot be picked up by spam bot.

Thanks in advance.
  9. Jan 24, 2006 #8

Did you get my email?
  10. Jan 24, 2006 #9
    Yes, thankyou
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?