How do I prove that the Dirichlet density of primes of the form n^2 +1 is 0?

In summary, to prove the Dirichlet density of primes of the form n^2+1 is 0, one approach could be to use the prime number theorem and the fact that p^2+1 has no solutions, which implies that the density of primes of this form is 0. Another approach could be to consider the group X of primes where p-1 is not a square and show that the density of these primes is also 0.
alexb1373
How do I prove that the Dirichlet density of primes of the form n^2 +1 is 0?

I can't find an way to approach the question - all my attempts so far have hit dead ends - just need a starting direction and I should be able to solve it (I hope!)

One approach I have tried is: n^2+1 prime implies that n^2+1=4k+1, i.e. n^2+1 is congruent to 1 mod 4. There are infinitely many primes of the form 4k+1 and P(1,4)=0.5. We need to show that P(1,4)-X=0.5, where X=group of primes defined in the question.

Another is perhaps to approach using instead that p-1 is not a square is the group X.

Physics news on Phys.org
We know that there are infinitely many primes of this form and p-1 is not a square, but we need to show that the density of these primes is 0. The most promising approach I can think of is to use the fact that for any prime p, p^2+1=4k+1 has no solutions. This implies that if p^2+1 is prime, then p is not prime. We can use this fact to prove that the density of primes of the form n^2+1 is 0, since there would be no primes of this form. To do this, we will need to use the prime number theorem. The prime number theorem states that the number of primes less than or equal to x is approximately x/log(x). We can use this to show that the density of primes of the form n^2+1 is 0.

1. What is the Dirichlet density of primes of the form n^2 +1?

The Dirichlet density of primes of the form n^2 +1 is a measure of the proportion of primes of this form among all prime numbers. It is denoted by d(n^2 +1) and is equal to the limit of the ratio of the number of primes of this form up to a certain bound, divided by the total number of primes up to the same bound.

2. How is the Dirichlet density of primes of the form n^2 +1 calculated?

The Dirichlet density of primes of the form n^2 +1 is typically calculated using analytic number theory techniques, specifically the Dirichlet series. It involves taking the limit of the ratio of the sum of the reciprocals of all primes of this form up to a certain bound, divided by the sum of the reciprocals of all prime numbers up to the same bound.

3. What is the significance of proving that the Dirichlet density of primes of the form n^2 +1 is 0?

If it can be proven that the Dirichlet density of primes of the form n^2 +1 is 0, it would mean that among all prime numbers, there are no primes of this particular form. This could have implications for the distribution of primes and could potentially lead to new insights in the field of number theory.

4. What are the challenges in proving that the Dirichlet density of primes of the form n^2 +1 is 0?

One of the main challenges in proving that the Dirichlet density of primes of the form n^2 +1 is 0 is that it requires a deep understanding of number theory and advanced mathematical techniques. Additionally, there may be technical difficulties in the proof, such as the need to handle infinite series and complex calculations.

5. Has the Dirichlet density of primes of the form n^2 +1 been proven to be 0?

No, at this time, the Dirichlet density of primes of the form n^2 +1 has not been proven to be 0. It remains an open problem in mathematics and is an active area of research. However, some progress has been made in proving certain cases, and it is an ongoing effort to find a complete proof for all values of n.