Proving the Existence and Uniqueness Theorem for Differential Equations

• Thread starter sutupidmath
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the theorem states that there is a unique solution to a differential equation that exists and is unique for all points in an interval.
sutupidmath
Theorem: Existence and Uniqueness

Let p(t), q(t), and g(t) be continuous on an interval I, then the differential equation

[tex] y'' + p(t)y' + q(t)y = g(t) \ \ \ \ , y(t_0) = b_0 \ \ \ , y'(t_0) = b_1 [/tex]

has a unique solution defined for all t in I.

I have no idea where to start??

Physics news on Phys.org
How you would do that depends upon where you are allowed to start.

Typically, one first proves the basic "existence and uniqueness" theorem for first order equations: If, f(t,y) is continuous in both variables and Lipschitz in y in some neighborhood of (t0,y0), then the differential equation dy/dt= f(t,y) with initial condition y(t0)= y0 has a unique solution in that neighborhood. That can be proven using the Banach fixed point principle. That's the hard part!

In fact, the Banach fixed point principle is true in Rn, not just R, so the existence and uniqueness theorem is true for y(x) vector valued as well as numeric.

For your problem, let x= y'(t). Then y"= x' so your differential equation becomes x'+ p(t)x+ q(t)y= g(t) or x'= -p(t)x- q(t)y- g(t). Your second order differential equation is now a system of two first order equations: x'= -p(t)x- q(t)y+ g(t) and y'= x.

Now let
[tex]Y(t)= \left(\begin{array}{c}x(t) \\ y(t)\end{array}\right)[/tex]
and you can state the system of equations as a single vector equation:
[tex]\frac{dY}{dt}= \left(\begin{array}{c}dx/dt \\ dy/dt\end{array}\right)= \left(\begin{array}{cc}-p(t) & -q(t) \\ 1 & 0\end{array}\right)Y+ \left(\begin{array}{c} q(t) \\ 0\end{array}\right)[/tex]

Letting
[tex]P(t)= \left(\begin{array}{cc}-p(t) & -q(t) \\ 1 & 0\end{array}\right)[/tex]
and
[tex]Q(t)= \left(\begin{array}{c} q(t) \\ 0\end{array}\right)[/tex]
that can be written dY/dt= P(t)Y+ Q(t). Since that is trivially continuous in both t and Y and differentiable (and so Lipschitz) with respect to y for all t and y, it has a unique solution for any initial value
[tex]Y(t_0)= Y_0= \left(\begin{array}{c}b_1 \\ b_0\end{array}\right)[/tex]

Since that is a linear differential equation, it is easy to show that the set of all solutions (to the homogeneous equation, dropping Q(t)) forms a vector space. Then we can show that the two solutions satisfying
[tex]Y_0= \left(\begin{array}{c}1 \\ 0\end{array}\right)[/tex]
and
[tex]Y_0= \left(\begin{array}{c}0 \\ 1\end{array}\right)[/tex]
both span the solution space and are independent- so the set of all solutions to a second order linear differential equation is a two dimensional vector space.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks Halls. It looks a lill bit out of my domain for the moment, but i think i'll be fine,i'll try to understand it.

1. How do I start proving a theorem?

The first step in proving a theorem is to carefully read and understand the statement of the theorem. Then, gather all relevant definitions, axioms, and previously proven theorems that may be helpful in proving the current theorem. It is also important to identify any assumptions or conditions that must be met for the theorem to hold.

2. What is the best way to structure a proof?

There is no one "correct" way to structure a proof, as it often depends on the specific theorem being proven. However, a common approach is to start with the most basic concepts and use logical steps to build up to the final conclusion. It is also important to clearly state each step and explain how it follows from the previous ones.

3. How much detail should be included in a proof?

The level of detail in a proof can vary, but it is generally important to include enough steps and explanations to make the proof clear and convincing. It is also important to avoid unnecessary or redundant steps, as this can make the proof longer and more confusing.

4. What if I get stuck while trying to prove a theorem?

It is common to encounter challenges or roadblocks while trying to prove a theorem. If this happens, it can be helpful to take a break and come back to the proof with a fresh perspective. It can also be beneficial to discuss the problem with peers or a mentor, as they may offer new insights or strategies for approaching the proof.

5. How do I know if my proof is correct?

The best way to determine if a proof is correct is to carefully check each step and make sure it follows logically from the previous steps. It can also be helpful to have someone else review the proof for any mistakes or oversights. In mathematics, a proof is considered correct when it has been rigorously verified and accepted by the mathematical community.