Proving the Limit of (3n)^{\frac{1}{2n}} as n Goes to Infinity

• Thread starter semidevil
  • Start date
In summary: Thus, the limit is equal to e^0 = 1. In summary, the limit of (3n)^{\frac{1}{2n}} as n goes to infinity is equal to 1. This can be proven by using the property of logarithms and applying L'Hopital's rule.
semidevil
find the limit

[tex](3n)^{\frac{1}{2n}} [/tex] as n goes to infinity

just by eyeballing, I know that as the nget sufficiently large, the limit of the exponent will get to 0. and 3n to the 0 will be one...

im' sure on the exam, this won't work, and I don't know how to give a precise proof of it. this is the chapter on subsequences and Bolzano-wiestress theorem, so I assume I need to use one of these concepts...but I don't know how...

any tips?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex](3n)^{\frac{1}{2n}} = (3n)^{\frac{1}{3n}\times \frac{3}{2}} = \left ((3n)^{\frac{1}{3n}}\right )^{1.5} = (x^{1/x})^{1.5}[/tex]

[tex]\lim _{x \to \infty} x^{1/x} = \lim _{x \to \infty} \exp (\ln x^{1/x}) = \lim _{x \to \infty} \exp \left (\frac{\ln x}{x}\right ) = \lim _{x \to \infty} \exp \left (\frac{1/x}{1}\right ) = \lim _{x \to \infty} \exp (0) = 1[/tex]

[tex]\lim _{n \to \infty} (3n)^{\frac{1}{2n}} = 1^{1.5} = 1[/tex]

If you wrote the solution out exactly like this, you'd probably lose some marks, but the idea is right. You can figure out on your own how to write it out properly, I just did it this way to save time.

Last edited:
AKG said:
[tex](3n)^{\frac{1}{2n}} = (3n)^{\frac{1}{3n}\times \frac{3}{2}} = \left ((3n)^{\frac{1}{3n}}\right )^{1.5} = (x^{1/x})^{1.5}[/tex]

[tex]\lim _{x \to \infty} x^{1/x} = \lim _{x \to \infty} \exp (\ln x^{1/x}) = \lim _{x \to \infty} \exp \left (\frac{\ln x}{x}\right ) = \lim _{x \to \infty} \exp \left (\frac{1/x}{1}\right ) = \lim _{x \to \infty} \exp (0) = 1[/tex]

If you wrote the solution out exactly like this, you'd probably lose some marks, but the idea is right. You can figure out on your own how to write it out properly, I just did it this way to save time.

thanx...great..but where did the

[tex] (x^{1/x})^{1.5}[/tex]

come from?

x = 3n...

And one more thing:It's the theorem of Bolzano-WEIERSTRASS (sic)...

Daniel;

AKG said:

ok, but i think that i got another way
[tex]set y = \lim _{n \to \infty} (3n)^{\frac{1}{2n}}[/tex]
we take = [tex]lny = ln( \lim _{n \to \infty} (3n)^{\frac{1}{2n}})[/tex]
Since [tex] ln( \lim _{n \to \infty} (3n)^{\frac{1}{2n}}) is continuous function[/tex]
--> [tex]lny = \lim _{n \to \infty}[ln (3n)^{\frac{1}{2n}}][/tex]
[tex]lny = \lim _{n \to \infty}[{\frac{ln3n}{2n}}][/tex]
[tex]infty/infty[/tex] -> use L'Hopital
[tex]lny = \lim _{n \to \infty}[{\frac{1}{2n}}][/tex]
--> lny = 0 -> y =1

The method is correct and so is the result.The trick with the commuting between "ln" (or "exp") and the limit is very useful & u proved it.

Daniel.

[tex] \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} e^{\frac{\ln{x}}{x}} = e^{\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{\ln{x}}{x}}[/tex]

and

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{\ln{x}}{x} = \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{\frac{1}{x}}{1} = 0[/tex]

by l'Hopital.

What is the limit of (3n)^{1/2n} as n goes to infinity?

The limit of (3n)^{1/2n} as n goes to infinity is e, the base of the natural logarithm. This means that as n gets larger and larger, the value of (3n)^{1/2n} approaches e.

How do you prove the limit of (3n)^{1/2n} as n goes to infinity?

To prove the limit of (3n)^{1/2n} as n goes to infinity, we can use the definition of a limit. We start by assuming that the limit is e. Then, we manipulate the expression (3n)^{1/2n} to show that it is equal to e. One approach is to take the natural logarithm of both sides and use properties of logarithms to simplify the expression.

Why does the limit of (3n)^{1/2n} as n goes to infinity equal e?

The limit of (3n)^{1/2n} as n goes to infinity equals e because the expression (3n)^{1/2n} can be rewritten as (3^{1/2})^n, and the limit of 3^{1/2} as n goes to infinity is e. This is because e is defined as the unique number that satisfies the limit lim_{n->infinity}(1+1/n)^n = e.

Can you provide an example of using the limit of (3n)^{1/2n} as n goes to infinity in a real-world situation?

Yes, the limit of (3n)^{1/2n} as n goes to infinity can be used in finance to calculate continuously compounded interest. The expression (3n)^{1/2n} represents the growth factor of an investment with an interest rate of 3% per year, compounded n times per year. As n approaches infinity, the growth factor approaches e, meaning that the investment grows continuously at a rate of e^(3%) per year.

Are there any other situations where the limit of (3n)^{1/2n} as n goes to infinity is useful?

Yes, the limit of (3n)^{1/2n} as n goes to infinity is also useful in the study of population growth. In this case, (3n)^{1/2n} represents the growth factor of a population that grows at a rate of 3% per time period, where n is the number of time periods. As n approaches infinity, the growth factor approaches e, indicating that the population is growing continuously at a rate of e^(3%) per time period.