How do I run a downloaded python script in github?

• Thread starter ElliotSmith
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Python
In summary, the conversation discusses how to run a downloaded script for python. The options include using the python GUI or the Windows command prompt, and someone suggests using the commands "cd /path/to/file" and "python script.py <options here>". The person asking for help is unsure of how to run a cloned repository in github. They are advised to check their PATH settings in the command prompt and to refer to the help page for working with repositories.
ElliotSmith
I downloaded a script for python and have no idea how to run it.

Do I go into the python GUI or the windows command prompt? Is there any way I can use this in github?

Someone told me on another forum said the following.

1. cd /path/to/file
2. python script.py <options here>

Which commands do I type in and where? Please help me out!

Technology news on Phys.org
That instruction should work if the path to the python.exe file is added to the PATH environmental variable.(Which I think is done automatically when installing python on windows).
Just press windows button+r or go to start->run and type cmd. The command prompt window(a black window with white texts on it) opens. Then you should go into the partition containing the file, so you should type D: (if the file is in the D partition). Then you cd to the path of the file and then type python "filename".py.

To check your settings in the command prompt window, type the word 'set' and hit return. That will display all of your settings, including your PATH settings.

Also, could someone please explain to me how to run a cloned repository in github?

ElliotSmith said:
Also, could someone please explain to me how to run a cloned repository in github?
I'm not sure what you mean by running a cloned repository. Do you mean cloning a repository? Have you looked at the https://help.github.com/articles/working-with-repositories help page?

1. How do I install Python?

To install Python, you can go to the official Python website and download the appropriate installer for your operating system. Follow the installation instructions provided and make sure to add Python to your PATH environment variable.

2. How do I run a Python script from the command line?

To run a Python script from the command line, you can use the command "python .py". Make sure to navigate to the directory where your script is located before running this command.

3. How do I run a Python script in an IDE?

To run a Python script in an IDE (integrated development environment), you can open the script in the IDE and click on the "run" or "execute" button. Most IDEs also have a keyboard shortcut for running scripts, such as "Ctrl + R".

4. How do I pass arguments to a Python script?

To pass arguments to a Python script, you can use the "sys" module and the "argv" attribute. This allows you to access the arguments passed to the script from the command line. Alternatively, you can use the "argparse" module to create a more user-friendly interface for passing arguments.

5. How do I know if my Python script is running?

If you are running a Python script from the command line, you will see the output of the script in the terminal. If you are running the script in an IDE, you will see the output in the console or output window. You can also check if the script is running by using the task manager on your operating system.