Sanitizing Carpets: Tips for Removing Foot and Nail Fungus

• Thread starter Mallignamius
  • Start date
In summary, a thorough steam cleaning using a sanitizing formula is a good option to address the issue of foot fungus.
Mallignamius
I'm moving into a new apartment, closer to work and school. Judging by what was left behind, the previous tenant may have had a foot fungus or nail fungus. What's a good, cheap way to sanitize the carpet?

Physics news on Phys.org
bleach? jk! rent one of those carpet cleaners at the grocery stores, I think you can get them for the day for like $15.

Ah ha! That's right. There's one right here in town. Thanks!

Mallignamius said:
I'm moving into a new apartment, closer to work and school. Judging by what was left behind, the previous tenant may have had a foot fungus or nail fungus. What's a good, cheap way to sanitize the carpet?
The apartment wasn't cleaned out before you occupied it?

I would suggest a thorough steam cleaning, I think they have some sanitizing formulas. You need to be aware of what kind of carpet it is. From your statement I take it that it is probably a cheap synthetic, so you don't have to worry as if it were a fine wool carpet.

I personally would probably go with a solution of boric acid, wear a face mask and protective clothing to reduce contact with it, then thoroughly rinse the carpet with clear water in the steam machine (I own one). But then I tend to do things that are not all that safe. Boric acid is just the first thing that comes to mind to kill off any foot fungus.

Someone feel free to contradict me if they think it would be too dangerous. Also, whatever you use, you'll need to check for colorfastness.

Last edited:
Evo said:
The apartment wasn't cleaned out before you occupied it?

I would suggest a thorough steam cleaning, I think they have some sanitizing formulas. You need to be aware of what kind of carpet it is. From your statement I take it that it is probably a cheap synthetic, so you don't have to worry as if it were a fine wool carpet.

I personally would probably go with a solution of boric acid, wear a face mask and protective clothing to reduce contact with it, then thoroughly rinse the carpet with clear water in the steam machine (I own one). But then I tend to do things that are not all that safe. Boric acid is just the first thing that comes to mind to kill off any foot fungus.

Someone feel free to contradict me if they think it would be too dangerous. Also, whatever you use, you'll need to check for colorfastness.
Boric acid or borax (sodium borate, sodium tetraborate)? Borax is an antifungal agent, and I believe boric acid is also. Otherwise, I agree with Evo.

Okay, borax it is. And thank you very much. I prefer my feet clean and healthy. :smile:

1. How often should I sanitize my carpet?

The frequency of sanitizing your carpet depends on the amount of foot traffic and potential exposure to contaminants. For high-traffic areas or households with pets and young children, it is recommended to sanitize the carpet at least once every 3-6 months. For low-traffic areas, once a year may be sufficient.

2. Can I use household cleaners to sanitize my carpet?

While household cleaners may be effective in removing visible stains and dirt, they may not be strong enough to fully sanitize your carpet. It is best to use a carpet cleaner or a specialized carpet sanitizer that is specifically designed for this purpose.

3. Do I need to vacuum before sanitizing my carpet?

Yes, it is important to vacuum your carpet before sanitizing to remove any loose dirt and debris. This will help the sanitizer to penetrate deeper into the carpet fibers and be more effective.

4. How long should I wait before walking on a sanitized carpet?

The waiting time may vary depending on the type of sanitizer used. It is recommended to follow the instructions on the product label. In general, it is best to wait at least 2-3 hours before walking on a sanitized carpet to allow it to fully dry.

5. Can I sanitize my carpet myself or should I hire a professional?

You can sanitize your carpet yourself using a carpet cleaner or sanitizer. However, if you have a large area to sanitize or heavily soiled carpets, it may be more effective to hire a professional carpet cleaning service. They have the equipment and expertise to properly sanitize your carpet and ensure that all contaminants are removed.