1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I set up this matrix

1. Dec 7, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A determinant with all elements of order unity may be surprisingly small. The Gilbert determinant Hij=(I+j-1)^-1, i,j=2..... n is notorious for its small values.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I just need help setting up the matrix and I can solve it myself. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2016 #2
    I know how to find the numbers for the matrix but I'm confused as to how big the matrix is supposed to be. Am I doing a 1 by 1 then a 2 by 2 then a 3 by3 or am I doing a 3 by 3

4. Dec 7, 2016 #3
    Your notation is a little unclear to me. I assume i represents the matrix row and j represents the matrix column. If that equation is ##H_{ij} = (i+j-1)^{-1}## with dimension equal to 2, then the value of each element is given by this equation with whichever row and column number plugged in.

5. Dec 7, 2016 #4
    Your problem statement doesn't give any direction for actually solving anything. Is there more to it?

6. Dec 7, 2016 #5
    Yes sorry. I'm stuck on the part where it says by order of n=1,2, and 3. What is is asking me to do?. I have already found my matrix using the given equation( it repeats itself in a decreasing way)

7. Dec 7, 2016 #6
    Calculate the value of the Hoover determinant of order n for n=1,2, and 3.

Is the problem

8. Dec 7, 2016 #7
    If it tells you to solve for an order of 1, 2, and 3, then it's telling you to compute the determinant of a 1x1, 2x2, and 3x3 matrix.

9. Dec 7, 2016 #8
    Quick question. When you are finding the determinant of a matrix. Do the rows and columns have to be equal?

10. Dec 7, 2016 #9
    Yes. You can only take the determinant of a square matrix.

11. Dec 7, 2016 #10
    For my answers I got
    1/12
    And I am working on the third

12. Dec 7, 2016 #11
    For the 3 by 3

13. Dec 7, 2016 #12
    That looks right!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted