How do I solve: (p(t)f(t))''=Af(t)

• Thread starter simplex
  • Start date
In summary, simplex is looking for a solution to the equation (p(t)g(t))''=Ag(t), with known initial conditions and possible values for A, to display the time evolution of g(t) using MATLAB. The equation can be rewritten as a Sturm-Liouville problem, but no explicit solution exists. It can also be transformed into a Riccati equation, which can only be solved in limited cases. For q(u)=0, the equation can be solved by separation of variables, but for q(x)=sin(x) it becomes very difficult and can only be solved using the method of Mathieu.
simplex
How do I solve the equation: (p(t)g(t))''=Ag(t)

I have the equation (p(t)g(t))''=Ag(t),
where:
p(t) is a known given function, for instance p(t)=sin(2*pi*f*t) but not necessarily periodical in the general case.
A is a known real constant, for instance A=A1 or A=A2, etc.
g(t) is the unknown function which I want to determine.
initial conditions:
g(0)=known value=g0
possible g'(0) known value=g0'

What I need is to display (using MATLAB) the time evolution of g=g(t), so I need an expression for this g(t).

For some A I must get an oscillating g(t) (at least for p(t) periodical) for others g(t) should die (converge) quickly to zero.

Is there an explicit formula (even with integrals that have to be numerically evaluated) for g(t)?

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks a bit like a Sturm-Liouville problem, but not quite..

Hello simplex,

You can rewrite the equation as:

[tex]g''(t)+\left(\frac{2p'(t)}{p(t)}\right)g'(t)+\left(\frac{p''(t)-A}{p(t)} \right)g(t)=0[/tex]

Which I might be able to solve if you have the function p(t), in case a general solution is required I do not immediately know a way. I will think about it and come back by the end of the week.

coomast

Thank you.

Maybe you are able to get a solution for this equation:

y''(t)-q(t)y(t)=0 where q(t) is a strictely positive function

--------------------------------------
Starting with (p(t)f(t))''=Af(t), I put y(t)=not=p(t)f(t) so f(t)=y(t)/p(t) (p(t)<=>0)
Therefore, y''(t)-[A/p(t)]y(t)=0.

Hello Simplex,

Sorry for this late reply but it has been a busy week for me. I looked in several of my books and couldn't find a definite solution to your equation. It is possible to transform it into a different type of equation, but this one is not solvable in general form and therefore I'm afraid no explicit solution exists. I started from your adapted form:

[tex]y''(x)-q(x) \cdot y(x)=0[/tex]

The equation can be transformed into a Riccati equation by substituting the following:

[tex]u=x[/tex]
[tex]v=\frac{y'}{y}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dv}{du}=\frac{y\cdot y'' - y' \cdot y'}{y^2}[/tex]

This gives:

[tex]\frac{dv}{du}+v^2-q(u)=0[/tex]

Which is a form of the Riccati equation. It can only be solved in a limited number of [itex]q(u)[/itex] cases.

More information can be found in the following books I used:

"Introduction to nonlinear differential and integral equations" by Harold T. Davis, 1962
"Ordinary differential equations - An elementary text-book with an introduction to Lie's theory of the group of one parameter" by James Morris Page, 1897
"Examples of differential equations with rules for their solution" by George A. Osborne, 1899
"An introduction to the Lie theory of one-parameter groups with applications to the solution of differential equations" by Abraham Cohen, 1911
"An elementary treatise on differential equations" by Abraham Cohen, 1906

I know some of them have a considerable age however don't underestimate the level...:smile:

best regards,

Coomast

Thank you.

I will see how can I solve that Ricatti equation. It seems to be nonlinear.
Even if q(u)=0, I will have to solve: [tex]\frac{dv}{du}+v^2=0[/tex] which does not seem so simple while if I make q(x)=0 in the original equation I get the trivial eq. [tex]y''(x)=0[/tex]

simplex said:
Thank you.

I will see how can I solve that Ricatti equation. It seems to be nonlinear.
Even if q(u)=0, I will have to solve: [tex]\frac{dv}{du}+v^2=0[/tex] which does not seem so simple while if I make q(x)=0 in the original equation I get the trivial eq. [tex]y''(x)=0[/tex]

Hello simplex,

If [tex]q(u)=0[/itex], you have an ODE which can be solved by separation of the variables as:
[tex]\frac{dv}{v^2}=-du[/tex]
from which:
[tex]-\frac{1}{v}=-u-A[/tex]
or:
[tex]v=\frac{1}{u+A}[/tex]
Changing back to the original variables:
[tex]\frac{y'}{y}=\frac{1}{x+A}[/tex]
which has as solution:
[tex]ln(y)=ln(x+A)+ln(B)[/tex]
or:
[tex]y=C_1x+C_2[/tex]
Now this is the same solution as the one you get from integrating [itex]y''(x)=0[/itex]. Hope this helps.

coomast

OK.

If q(x)=sin(x), can you solve the equation?

simplex said:
OK.

If q(x)=sin(x), can you solve the equation?

Hello simplex,

By setting q(x)=sin(x) the equation becomes very difficult. I tried finding a solution for a few hours, but to no good, I keep on getting after some transformations the original equation, which is nothing more than running around in circles :-( However I did find some info in a book and this gives directly a view on the fact that it is a difficult equation. I'm not going to type everything over from the book, but will give you a few pictures on how to solve it. The equation was:

[tex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}-sin(x)\cdot y=0[/tex]

First step, transform the variables as:

[tex]u=x[/tex]
[tex]v=\frac{y'}{y}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dv}{du}=\frac{y''}{y}-\left(\frac{y'}{y}\right)^2[/tex]

This gives:

[tex]\frac{dv}{du}=-v^2+sin(u)[/tex]

Looking at eq_1.png you see that it is that equation with:

[tex]\alpha=-1[/tex]
[tex]\beta=0[/tex]
[tex]\gamma=1[/tex]
[tex]\lambda=1[/tex]

Applying the transformation as in eq_1.png gives:

[tex]\frac{dv}{dt}=-v^2+cos(t)[/tex]

This equation is given in figure eq_2.png. Applying the transformation given there:

[tex]\frac{d^2z}{dt^2}-4cos(2t)\cdot z=0[/tex]

This is the equation given in figure eq_3.png. The solution is further described in this picture. As you can see, not easy. I don't know much about Mathieu functions and can't help you on this. Hope that this brings you a step further.

best regards,

coomast

Attachments

• eq_1.png
    eq_1.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 446
  • eq_2.png
    eq_2.png
    4.3 KB · Views: 444
  • eq_3.jpg
    eq_3.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 382
Thank you for your help.
It seems that the equation can be solved using the method of Mathieu and there is no simple solution.

1. How do I solve (p(t)f(t))''=Af(t) for a specific value of t?

To solve for a specific value of t, you would first need to determine the general solution to the given equation. This can be done by separating the variables and integrating both sides. Once you have the general solution, you can substitute the specific value of t into the equation to find the corresponding value of f(t).

2. Can I use any value of t to solve (p(t)f(t))''=Af(t)?

Yes, you can use any value of t to solve the equation. However, it is important to note that different values of t may yield different solutions. It is recommended to solve for the general solution and then substitute different values of t to find the corresponding solutions.

3. What is the significance of the constant A in the equation (p(t)f(t))''=Af(t)?

The constant A represents the amplitude of the function f(t). It determines the size of the function and how it changes over time. Different values of A will result in different solutions, but they will all have the same general shape.

4. What if I have multiple functions on the left side of the equation, such as (p(t)f(t) + g(t))''=Af(t)?

If you have multiple functions on the left side of the equation, you can still solve for the general solution by separating the variables and integrating both sides. Once you have the general solution, you can then substitute the specific functions into the equation to find the corresponding solutions.

5. Can I use this equation to solve for other types of functions besides polynomials?

Yes, this equation can be used to solve for a variety of functions, including exponential, logarithmic, and trigonometric functions. However, the method of solving may vary depending on the type of function. It is important to understand the properties and rules of the specific type of function in order to solve the equation accurately.