Solve River Swimming Path: Find Equation

• Thread starter gandharva_23
  • Start date
In summary, the man swims from the origin to (0,1) in the river and follows an equation of motion which is a combination of x- and y-coordinates.
gandharva_23
how do i solve these ?

consider a river flowing with a speed v along positive X axis . a man starts swimming from a point on the bank of the river ( which is considered to be as origin ) . l is the width of the river and the velocity of man is always directed towards the point (0,l) . speed with which man can swim in still water is u . find the equation of the path that the man follows ?

i took a general point where man's direction of velocity makes an angle q with the vertical and i assume this point to be (x,y)
now i m just able to get 2 equation which are
1. x = (v-u)integeral(cosp)dt
2. y = (v-u)integeral(sinp)dt
now i have 4 variables (t,p,x,y) and have just 3 equations (which also don't seem to be solvable) ... what do i do ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think this is just a matter of solving the equation of motion (F=ma) in the x and y component and combining them vectorially by

[tex]\vec{r}(t) = x(t)\hat{x} + y(t)\hat{y}[/tex]

which gives a paramatrization of the path by the time.

1. x = (v-u)integeral(cosp)dt
2. y = (v-u)integeral(sinp)dt
here i have 2 variables p and t ... so there are 2 parameters . moreover i want to find the relation between x and y independent of any other parameters (sorry i did not mention that in my initial post ) . is it possible to get a relation between x and y independent of any other parameters?

NOT multiplied by v-u! v and u are speeds and the corresponding velocities are not in the same direction: v is in the x direction.

The man's velocity vector is (u cos(p)+ v)i+ (u sin(p))j . Of course, since he is always aiming at the point (0,1), tan p= x/(1- y).
[tex]sin(p)= \frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+ (1-y)^2}}[/tex]
[tex]cos(p)= \frac{1-y}{\sqrt{x^2+ (1-y)^2}}[/tex]

You actually have two differential equations:
[tex]\frac{dx}{dt}= \frac{ux}{\sqrt{x^2+ (1-y)^2}}+ v[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dy}{dt}= \frac{uy}{\sqrt{x^2+ (1-y)^2}}[/tex]

Since t does not appear explicitely in those,
[tex]\frac{dx}{dy}= \frac{x}{y}+ \frac{v\sqrt{x^2+(1-y)^2}}{uy}[/tex]
is an equation for x as a function of y.

thanx a lot sir i was missing the fact that tan p= x/(1- y) ...

1. How do you find the equation for a river swimming path?

To find the equation for a river swimming path, you need to know the distance of the river, the velocity of the river, and the velocity of the swimmer. You can then use the formula d = rt, where d is the distance, r is the rate (or velocity), and t is the time. The time will be the same for both the swimmer and the river, so you can set the two equations equal to each other and solve for r to get the velocity ratio. This ratio can then be substituted into the original equation to find the equation for the river swimming path.

2. What factors affect the equation for a river swimming path?

The equation for a river swimming path is affected by the distance of the river, the velocity of the river, and the velocity of the swimmer. Changes in any of these factors will result in a different equation for the path. Other factors that may affect the equation include the angle of the swimmer's path relative to the river's flow, the swimmer's ability to adjust their velocity, and any external forces (such as wind or current) that may impact the swimmer's speed.

3. Can you use the same equation for any river swimming path?

The same equation cannot be used for every river swimming path, as the variables will change depending on the specific path. However, the general formula d = rt can be applied to any river swimming path, as long as the necessary information (distance, river velocity, swimmer velocity) is known.

4. How accurate is the equation for a river swimming path?

The accuracy of the equation for a river swimming path depends on the accuracy of the input variables and the assumptions made in the calculation. If the distance of the river, river velocity, and swimmer velocity are all known with a high degree of accuracy, the equation should provide a fairly accurate representation of the swimming path. However, factors such as changes in velocity or external forces may affect the accuracy of the equation.

5. Is the equation for a river swimming path affected by the shape of the river?

The equation for a river swimming path is not directly affected by the shape of the river, as long as the distance, river velocity, and swimmer velocity are known. However, the shape of the river may indirectly impact the equation by affecting the velocity of the river (e.g. narrower sections may have a faster flow) or the swimmer's ability to navigate the path (e.g. sharp turns may require a decrease in velocity).