How to Integrate a Differential Equation to Find u?

• Thread starter shreddinglicks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Differential
In summary, to integrate the given equation, we can use the method of separation of variables by setting p = du/dy and then solving a first order separable equation to obtain u. This method is more general and can be applied to a variety of differential equations.
shreddinglicks

Homework Statement

integrate:

##-v(du/dy) = κ(d^2(u)/dy^2) ##

to obtain:

## (-v/κ)y = ln(du/dy) + c##

and finally:

##u = d + w*e^(-vy/κ)##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

## (-v/κ)dy = d(u) ##

which gives:

## (-vy/κ) + C = u ##

Physics news on Phys.org
##v,\kappa## are constant ? What is ##w## ?

I think there is a mistake here:

shreddinglicks said:
u=d+w∗e(−vy/κ)

did you want to write this ##u(y)=c_{1}+c_{2}e^{-\frac{v}{\kappa}y}##, where ##c_{1},c_{2}## are "generic" constants ?

Ssnow

Ssnow said:
##v,\kappa## are constant ? What is ##w## ?

I think there is a mistake here:
did you want to write this ##u(y)=c_{1}+c_{2}e^{-\frac{v}{\kappa}y}##, where ##c_{1},c_{2}## are "generic" constants ?

Ssnow
Yes, sorry about that.

Ok, then ## u(y)=c_{1}+c_{2}e^{-\frac{v}{\kappa}y}## is the general solution...
Ssnow

Ssnow said:
Ok, then ## u(y)=c_{1}+c_{2}e^{-\frac{v}{\kappa}y}## is the general solution...
Ssnow
Yes, but I want to know how to get that solution from the differential equation.

In order to know "how" to find the general solution there is a general method for second order differential equations that consists to pass to the characteristic equation:

## \lambda^2+\frac{v}{\kappa} \lambda =0##

that has solutions ## \lambda_{1}=0## and ##\lambda_{2}=-\frac{v}{\kappa}##. When we have ##\Delta >0## the solution is a linear combination of exponentials:

##u(y)= c_{1}e^{0\cdot y}+c_{2}e^{-\frac{v}{\kappa}y}##

we write simply ##u(y)=c_{1}+c_{2}e^{-\frac{v}{\kappa}y}## (for details on this method I suggest any elementary book on differential equations)

Another way is to observe that:

## -\frac{v}{\kappa}y=\ln{\frac{d u}{dy}} +c ##

is equivalent to:

## -\frac{v}{\kappa}y-c=\ln{\frac{d u}{dy}} ##
that is

## e^{-\frac{v}{\kappa}y-c}=\frac{du}{dy}##

and the differential equation is: ##\frac{du}{dy}=Ke^{-\frac{v}{\kappa}y}## with ##K=e^{-c}## that is a constant.
This admit a simple solution that is the exponential itself, (you can think on this ...)
Ssnow

Precisely ,our equation is a second order homogeneous differential equation ...
Ssnow

Ssnow said:
In order to know "how" to find the general solution there is a general method for second order differential equations that consists to pass to the characteristic equation:

## \lambda^2+\frac{v}{\kappa} \lambda =0##

that has solutions ## \lambda_{1}=0## and ##\lambda_{2}=-\frac{v}{\kappa}##. When we have ##\Delta >0## the solution is a linear combination of exponentials:

##u(y)= c_{1}e^{0\cdot y}+c_{2}e^{-\frac{v}{\kappa}y}##

we write simply ##u(y)=c_{1}+c_{2}e^{-\frac{v}{\kappa}y}## (for details on this method I suggest any elementary book on differential equations)

Another way is to observe that:

## -\frac{v}{\kappa}y=\ln{\frac{d u}{dy}} +c ##

is equivalent to:

## -\frac{v}{\kappa}y-c=\ln{\frac{d u}{dy}} ##
that is

and the differential equation is: ##\frac{du}{dy}=Ke^{-\frac{v}{\kappa}y}## with ##K=e^{-c}## that is a constant.
This admit a simple solution that is the exponential itself, (you can think on this ...)
Ssnow

I understand everything that you showed me except the line:

How does that come from the original differential equation?

This is because ##\frac{1}{\frac{du}{dy}}\frac{d^{2}u}{dy^2}## is equal to ##\frac{d}{dy} \left(\ln{\frac{du}{dy}}\right)##. In fact:

##-v\frac{du}{dy}=\kappa\left(\frac{d^2u}{dy^2}\right)##

is equivalent to

##-\frac{v}{\kappa}=\frac{1}{\frac{du}{dy}}\left(\frac{d^2u}{dy^2}\right)##

that is equivalent to

##-\frac{v}{\kappa}=\frac{d}{dy} \left(\ln{\frac{du}{dy}}\right)##

now integrating both sides respect to ##y## we have : ##-\frac{v}{\kappa}y=\ln{\frac{du}{dy}}+c##.

Ssnow

shreddinglicks said:

Homework Statement

integrate:

to obtain:

and finally:

##u = d + w*e^(-vy/κ)##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

## (-v/κ)dy = d(u) ##

which gives:

## (-vy/κ) + C = u ##

Set ##w = du/dy## and then write the DE as ##dw/dy = r w,## where ##r = v/\kappa.## Thus, ##w = c e^{ry}## and ##u = \int w(y) \, dy.##

Ray Vickson said:
Set ##w = du/dy## and then write the DE as ##dw/dy = r w,## where ##r = v/\kappa.## Thus, ##w = c e^{ry}## and ##u = \int w(y) \, dy.##

I see, that is useful.

Ssnow said:
This is because ##\frac{1}{\frac{du}{dy}}\frac{d^{2}u}{dy^2}## is equal to ##\frac{d}{dy} \left(\ln{\frac{du}{dy}}\right)##. In fact:

##-v\frac{du}{dy}=\kappa\left(\frac{d^2u}{dy^2}\right)##

is equivalent to

##-\frac{v}{\kappa}=\frac{1}{\frac{du}{dy}}\left(\frac{d^2u}{dy^2}\right)##

that is equivalent to

##-\frac{v}{\kappa}=\frac{d}{dy} \left(\ln{\frac{du}{dy}}\right)##

now integrating both sides respect to ##y## we have : ##-\frac{v}{\kappa}y=\ln{\frac{du}{dy}}+c##.

Ssnow

Is there a proof for:
##\frac{1}{\frac{du}{dy}}\frac{d^{2}u}{dy^2}## = ##\frac{d}{dy} \left(\ln{\frac{du}{dy}}\right)##

shreddinglicks said:
Is there a proof for:
##\frac{1}{\frac{du}{dy}}\frac{d^{2}u}{dy^2}## = ##\frac{d}{dy} \left(\ln{\frac{du}{dy}}\right)##

The proof is an application of the derivative rule ## \frac{d}{dy}(f(g(y)))=\frac{df}{dy}(g(y))\cdot \frac{dg}{dy}(y)##, where ##f(y)=\ln(y)## and ##g(y)=\frac{du}{dy}(y)##.
Ssnow

Ssnow said:
The proof is an application of the derivative rule ## \frac{d}{dy}(f(g(y)))=\frac{df}{dy}(g(y))\cdot \frac{dg}{dy}(y)##, where ##f(y)=\ln(y)## and ##g(y)=\frac{du}{dy}(y)##.
Ssnow
Thanks!

Likes Ssnow
Since the problem asks you to integrate use a common method. Let p = du/dy to find a first order separable equation in p. Once you have p you then have u by integration. The method is much more general than this.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves the use of derivatives to find the rate of change of a variable over time.

2. How do I solve a differential equation?

To solve a differential equation, you can use various techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or using an integrating factor. It is important to first identify the type of differential equation and then choose the appropriate method to solve it.

3. What is the purpose of solving a differential equation?

The purpose of solving a differential equation is to find the function that satisfies the equation and describes the behavior of a system. This can be used to make predictions, analyze trends, and model real-world phenomena in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

4. Can all differential equations be solved analytically?

No, not all differential equations can be solved analytically. Some equations may have complex or non-elementary solutions that cannot be expressed in terms of basic mathematical functions. In such cases, numerical methods or approximation techniques may be used to find a solution.

5. How do I know if my solution to a differential equation is correct?

To check the correctness of a solution, you can substitute it back into the original differential equation and see if it satisfies the equation. You can also compare it to known solutions or use software programs to verify the solution.