How can I solve this logarithmic equation?

• Thread starter Cuisine123
  • Start date
In summary, when solving an equation, it is important to choose the most appropriate method based on the type of equation and variables involved, such as substitution, elimination, or graphing. The order of operations to follow is PEMDAS - Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division (left to right), Addition and Subtraction (left to right). You can check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation and simplifying both sides. When dealing with fractions or decimals, you can eliminate them by multiplying both sides by the denominator or converting them to their equivalent form using a common denominator. If there are variables on both sides of the equation, use the properties of equality to simplify and isolate the variable on one side before solving
Cuisine123

Homework Statement

2log(x+11)=(1/2)x

Homework Equations

---

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to solve for x.

Physics news on Phys.org
There isn't going to be any algebraic method to solve that equation. There are a number of different numerical methods.

Can you provide me with some guidance or clarification on the problem? It would be helpful to know what level of mathematics you are currently studying and what techniques or methods you have already learned for solving equations. Additionally, it would be helpful to know if there are any restrictions or conditions given for the variables in the equation. This information will allow me to provide a more specific and helpful response. In general, to solve an equation like this, you will likely need to use logarithmic properties and/or algebraic manipulation techniques. If you are not familiar with these concepts, I would recommend reviewing them before attempting to solve the equation. Alternatively, you can also seek help from a math tutor or teacher for further assistance.

1. How do I know which method to use to solve an equation?

The method used to solve an equation depends on the type of equation and the variables involved. Some common methods include substitution, elimination, and graphing. It is important to understand the properties of the equation and choose the most appropriate method.

2. What is the order of operations in solving an equation?

The order of operations in solving an equation follows the acronym PEMDAS - Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division (left to right), Addition and Subtraction (left to right). It is important to follow this order to ensure the correct solution is obtained.

3. Can I check my answer to make sure it is correct?

Yes, you can always check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation and simplifying both sides. If the resulting expressions on both sides are equal, then your solution is correct.

4. How do I deal with fractions or decimals in an equation?

To solve an equation with fractions or decimals, you can either multiply both sides of the equation by the denominator to eliminate the fractions, or you can convert the fractions or decimals to their equivalent form using a common denominator.

5. What do I do if there are variables on both sides of the equation?

If there are variables on both sides of the equation, you can use the properties of equality to simplify the equation and isolate the variable on one side. You can then solve for the variable using the appropriate method.