How to Evaluate an Integral of a Vector Field along a Curve?

• Thread starter iScience
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses the integral U=∫F∙ds and how to solve it. The integral is taken over a curve C between two endpoints P1 and P2, and in order to evaluate it, a parameter must be used such as s or θ.
iScience
if i have a function U..

U=∫F∙ds

where F=<ayz+bx+c , axz+bz , axy+by> , a,b,c are constants

so.. F=(ayz+bx+c)[itex]\hat{x}[/itex] + (axz+bz)[itex]\hat{y}[/itex] + (axy+by)[itex]\hat{z}[/itex]

then how do i solve this integral? i have to either replace the x,y,z terms with something in terms of 's' (which is the displacement by the way, ie.. s= [itex]\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}[/itex]
or i have to replace ds with some parametric ..stuff... how do i evaluate something like this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi iScience! :smile:
iScience said:
U=∫F∙ds

or i have to replace ds with some parametric ..stuff... how do i evaluate something like this?

Let's write that out in full …

it's an integral over a curve C between two endpoints P1 and P2: ##U = \int_C \mathbf{F}\cdot d\mathbf{s}##

so yes you have to use some parameter, which may be s itself, or may be something easier to use, eg θ with ds = (-rsinθdθ,rcosθdθ) :wink:

What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve or the accumulation of a quantity over an interval. It is often used to solve problems related to motion, volume, and other physical quantities.

What are the steps to solve an integral?

The steps to solve an integral include identifying the type of integral (definite or indefinite), applying appropriate integration techniques, simplifying the integrand, and evaluating the integral using limits or antiderivatives.

What are the common integration techniques?

The common integration techniques include u-substitution, integration by parts, trigonometric substitution, partial fractions, and integration by trigonometric substitution.

How do I know which integration technique to use?

The choice of integration technique depends on the form of the integrand. It is important to identify the type of integral and then choose the appropriate integration technique based on the form of the integrand.

What are some tips for solving integrals?

Some tips for solving integrals include practicing regularly, understanding the fundamentals of integration, and learning the common integration techniques. It is also helpful to check your answer by differentiating it and using online tools or software to confirm the result.