Can Vector Cross Product Determine Intersection Point and Angle Between Lines?

In summary, the two given lines intersect at a point P and to find the coordinates of P, we need to set the x, y and z coordinates of each line equal to each other. This will result in a set of linear equations that can be solved for the values of s and t, which can then be plugged back into the equations to find the coordinates of P. Additionally, to find the cosine of the acute angle θ between the two lines, we need to use the dot product of the direction vectors and the magnitude of each vector to calculate the cosine.
haux

Homework Statement

4. Consider the following two lines:

L1: [1 2 1] + s [2 -1 1] , L2 = [3 0 1] + t [1 1 2](by the way, all of those are column vectors. I just don't know how to format them correctly.)

(a) These two lines intersect at a point P . Find the co-ordinates of P .

(b) What is the cosine of the acute angle θ between these two lines ?

The Attempt at a Solution

Well for a), I don't know if we are supposed to get the normal vector or not. If so, then I know to do the cross product. If that's not the proper solution then can I merely do P1P2 = P2 - P1, or is that completely irrelevant? I'm just really confused about the wording!

Physics news on Phys.org
If they intersect at point P, then the x, y and z coordinates of each line are the same at that point right?

I don't understand what you mean. Each line has separate points and different direction vectors as well. :S

They have a lot of separate points, but one special point P they have in common. If this point is given by P = [p1 p2 p3] then you would agree that 1+2s = p1 for some s and 3+t = p1 for some t right? It looks like you've got the makings of a set of linear equations.

For example, the x coordinate of L1 is given by 1+2s while the x coordinate is given by 3+ t. Where the lines intersect, those must be the same: 1+ 2s= 3+ t. The same is true for the y and z coordinates.

But it says to find the coordinates of P, not the related scalar equations...

1. How do I find the magnitude of a vector?

To find the magnitude of a vector, you can use the Pythagorean theorem. Square the x and y components of the vector, add them together, and then take the square root of the sum.

2. How do I calculate the dot product of two vectors?

To calculate the dot product of two vectors, multiply the corresponding x components of the vectors and add them together. Then, multiply the corresponding y components and add them together. Finally, add the two results together to get the dot product.

3. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector quantity?

A scalar quantity is a measurement that has only magnitude, such as distance or temperature. A vector quantity has both magnitude and direction, such as velocity or force.

4. How do I determine the angle between two vectors?

To determine the angle between two vectors, you can use the dot product formula. Take the inverse cosine of the dot product divided by the product of the magnitudes of the two vectors.

5. Can I add or subtract vectors that are in different directions?

No, you cannot add or subtract vectors that are in different directions. Addition and subtraction of vectors only work when they are in the same direction. If they are in different directions, you must use vector components to find the resulting vector.