1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I switch fields?

1. Feb 11, 2009 #1
    I have almost completed a PhD in a field of computational materials science.

I've kinda lost interest in it, and I'm wondering what are some strategies I can use to move to different areas for future employment ...

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2009 #2
    It all depends on how radically you want change your career. Are thinking about a small change like moving to experimental material science or something drastic like becoming an MD?

If it is something similar to what you do now, a postdoc in that field would be a good way to acclimate yourself to the new discipline. For instance I know a guy who went from experimental high energy physics PhD to a medical physics postdoc.

4. Feb 11, 2009 #3
    Thanks! No its just another field, also in computation.

After six years of PhD, I certainly need a change. Yeah, I think I'll check out a few postdoc positions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook