Teaching Programming: How Can I Effectively Teach Python to Beginners?

• Thread starter TheDemx27
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Programming
In summary, the conversation is about a person who is starting a new after-school tech club and wants to teach Python programming. They are afraid of going too fast or using confusing terminology and are seeking advice on how to teach effectively. Suggestions include using existing books, focusing on state space and flow control, and using tools like UML diagrams. It is also recommended to spend time demonstrating the development environment and overseeing students as they run simple programs. A link to a forum thread with a programming puzzle is provided for additional resources.
TheDemx27
Gold Member
Hello,

I have been one of the founders of a new after school tech club (god I wish there was a physics club), and have been told by the advising teacher that they would like it if I taught some programming language as part of the program. I'm choosing Python of course.

The main trouble here is that I am afraid I will go too fast, or use indecipherable terminology, or otherwise discourage what will probably be a rather meager turnout in the first place. I have never taught completely new material like this to anyone before. How do I go about it? Should I prepare lectures and demonstrations or have people follow along with me as I project my screen on a whiteboard?

tldr:

Is there good material you know of that teaches people how to teach programming?
Any recommendations on how to attract people to the class (other than the usual flyers)?
What would you consider the best method of teaching?

One thing I know I have on my side is that I would be a teacher who is passionate about the subject. So that's a plus.

Technology news on Phys.org
What's the age of the target audience?

Anyway, you could follow an existing book, for example "Python for Kids" or, if you want a book that you can get for free and every student can get for free, you could go for "Dive into Python".

gsal said:
What's the age of the target audience?

High school students, probably sophomore to senior.

My suggestion is to focus on state space and flow control. Build each up slowly adding more complexity and variability with every new lesson and project.

With state-space you are looking at your variables, data structures, access of variables within the code and
how they are laid out within the code and also within functions and interfaces. Focus on how information is
accessed, partitioned, and ultimately how it is actually used.

With flow-control you look at the flow of execution of code. Again start simple and add more and more
complexity with every lesson or assignment.

You will have to tailor the above to the language of choice. You can do the above with any language but obviously different languages deal with complexity and actual programming in their own way.

I would also suggest you use some tools to help people understand state-space and flow control. Some stuff from the field of software engineering may help with this (like UML diagrams and structures). Understanding
how data flows, how execution flows, how data is built on simpler structures, and how it's accessed is
easily recognizable with simple UML type structures.

In addition to this I would also look at the potential values of each variable/structure and how that contributes to affecting the execution of the program which includes not only intended functioning but also unintended functioning. This includes initializing variables and making sure that one checks for all errors and values that
should be and should not be set.

The kind of examples are up to you and obviously should depend on the class and students themselves.

Spend some time at the beginning, demonstrating the development environment that you're using, and watching over their shoulders as they enter and run a simple "hello world" type program. When I taught C++, one of the first course sessions was a lab devoted to this. We used a plain Unix-type command line interface (tcsh shell, as I recall), so they had to learn how to log in, create source files with a simple text editor (pico), invoke the g++ compiler, and run the compiled executable file. Also basic housekeeping stuff: how to create directories (folders), navigate between them, list their contents, and delete files.

Link to an old thread with a programming puzzle that only has 4 types of instructions. It should help with the basic concepts of programmming, although dealing with a limitation (in this case only 10 addressable locations) isn't a common aspect of programming anymore.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=561124

Last edited:

1. How do I introduce programming to beginners?

Introducing programming to beginners can be challenging, but it is important to start with the basics. Begin by explaining the purpose of programming and how it is used in everyday life. Then, introduce key concepts and terminology such as variables, loops, and functions. Use interactive and hands-on activities to keep beginners engaged and make learning programming fun and accessible.

2. What programming language should I teach?

There is no one "best" programming language to teach. It ultimately depends on the goals and needs of your students. Some popular languages for beginners include Python, Java, and Scratch. Consider the purpose and applications of each language and choose one that aligns with your teaching objectives.

3. How do I keep students engaged while teaching programming?

Keeping students engaged while teaching programming is crucial for their learning and understanding of the subject. Use a variety of teaching methods, such as hands-on activities, interactive games, and real-world examples. Encourage collaboration and problem-solving, and allow students to work on projects that interest them. This will help keep them motivated and engaged.

4. How do I teach programming to students with different learning styles?

Teaching programming to students with different learning styles can be challenging but not impossible. Incorporate a variety of teaching methods, such as visual aids, hands-on activities, and verbal instructions, to cater to different learning styles. Allow students to work at their own pace and provide individualized support when needed.

5. What resources are available to help me teach programming?

There are many resources available to help you teach programming, such as online tutorials, coding platforms, and textbooks. Additionally, there are workshops, conferences, and communities of educators who specialize in teaching programming. It is also helpful to connect with other teachers and share ideas and resources for teaching programming effectively.