How to Write a Matrix on a Webpage?

• I
  • Thread starter cookiemnstr510510
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, the conversation discusses how to write a matrix on a forum thread. A helpful explanation is provided with a link to a guide on writing matrices. The correct formatting is explained and clarified, and the conversation ends with the user expressing their appreciation for the help.
cookiemnstr510510
Hello, sorry if this is in the incorrect thread but I am wondering how I write a matrix on here?
Much help appreciated and more problems to come ;)
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
cookiemnstr510510 said:
okay, what am I doing wrong?
\being{vmatrix}
1 & -5 & 4 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 1 & 0 & 1 & 0
\end{vmatrix}
You need to put it in either ##matrix## or in $$matrix$$ for a separated line.
Inline ##
\begin{vmatrix}
1 & -5 & 4 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 1 & 0 & 1 & 0
\end{vmatrix}
## text, which is ok for matrices, or on an extra line
$$
\begin{bmatrix}
1 & -5 & 4 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 1 & 0 & 1 & 0
\end{bmatrix}
$$
and you wrote 'begin' wrong - looks a bit like Bejing.

Likes cookiemnstr510510
\begin{vmatrix}
1 & -5 & 4 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 1 & 0 & 1 & 0
\end{vmatrix}

Got it! Thank you @fresh_42

Likes berkeman

1. How do I create a matrix in a programming language?

To create a matrix in a programming language, you first need to declare a variable to store the matrix. Then, use a nested loop to iterate through the rows and columns of the matrix and assign values to each element. You can also use built-in functions or libraries to create a matrix.

2. What is the difference between a matrix and an array?

A matrix is a two-dimensional array, meaning it has rows and columns. An array can have any number of dimensions, including one, two, or more. Additionally, matrices often have specific mathematical operations and properties, such as determinants and inverses, that are not applicable to arrays.

3. How do I access or modify specific elements in a matrix?

To access or modify specific elements in a matrix, you can use the row and column indices. For example, to access the element in the second row and third column, you would use matrix[1][2]. You can also use built-in functions or methods to perform operations on specific elements or subsets of a matrix.

4. Can I perform operations on two matrices of different sizes?

No, in order to perform operations on two matrices, they must have the same number of rows and columns. If the matrices have different sizes, you can use matrix resizing or padding methods to make them compatible before performing operations.

5. How do I write a matrix for a specific mathematical operation?

To write a matrix for a specific mathematical operation, you first need to understand the properties and requirements of the operation. Then, you can use those properties to determine the size and values of the matrix. It may also be helpful to refer to examples or consult with a math or programming expert for guidance.