Solution to PDE U(x,t) = y^2e^{-3x} + h(x)

• Thread starter nicksauce
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a PDE solution, where U(x,t) is equal to y^2e^{-3x} + h(x). The function h(x) must satisfy the condition h(0) = 1. The notation for this condition can be written as h(x)\in \{f(x)|f(0)=1\}. The speakers also discuss using fancy notation and mentioning hypotheses for h(x), as well as a concern about the formula having U(x,t) on the left and only a y on the right. The conversation also briefly touches on using LaTeX for formatting equations.
nicksauce
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I have a solution for a PDE

[tex]U(x,t)=y^2e^{-3x} + h(x)[/tex]

Where h(x) is any function such that h(0) = 1

What notation can I use for this clause on h(x)?

My guess is:
[tex]h(x)\in \{f(x)|f(0)=1\}[/tex]

Does that make sense?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Sure, it's a fancy-pants way of putting it.

arildno said:
Sure, it's a fancy-pants way of putting it.

I like doing things the fancy-pants way :tongue:

Well if you want to be fancy pants, you might well want to mention what sort of hypotheses are needed on h, ie there probably should be some differentiability condition.

True; is there a symbolic way to write 'continuous'?

[tex] \text{yeah, if } f(x) \text{ is continuous on an interval } [a,b] \text{ then } f(x) \in C[a,b] [/tex]

Last edited:
I am just a tiny bit concerned that your formula,
has U(x,t) on the left but a "y" and no "t" on the right!

HallsofIvy said:
I am just a tiny bit concerned that your formula,
has U(x,t) on the left but a "y" and no "t" on the right!

Lol woops, should be U(x,y)

off topic but does anyone know why my latex doesn't work? i tried doing it with a bunch of little [tex] and no \text but that didnt work, so i tried what i have now and just gave up and left it like that.

Try using \textnormal

[tex]\textnormal{This is a test}[/tex]

You do not need \textnormal
axeae said:
[tex] \text{yeah, if } f(x) \text{ is continuous on an interval } [a,b] \text{ then } f(x) \in C[a,b] [\tex]
Simply finish with "/tex", not with "\tex", between the brackets

oh wow, i guess I've been doing latex so much i forgot not everything else uses \ instead of /

1. What is a PDE?

A PDE, or partial differential equation, is an equation that involves multiple independent variables and their partial derivatives. It is commonly used to model physical phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.

2. What is the solution to the given PDE?

The solution to the given PDE is U(x,t) = y^2e^(-3x) + h(x), where h(x) is an arbitrary function of x.

3. How do you solve a PDE?

Solving a PDE involves finding a function or set of functions that satisfy the given equation. This can be done through various methods such as separation of variables, Fourier transforms, or numerical methods.

4. What is the role of the function h(x) in the solution to the PDE?

The function h(x) is an arbitrary function that can be chosen to satisfy any additional boundary or initial conditions for the PDE. It allows for a more general solution to the PDE.

5. Can the solution to a PDE be verified?

Yes, the solution to a PDE can be verified by plugging it into the original equation and checking if it satisfies all the given conditions and boundary conditions.