What is the functioning principle of magnetometers?

• Thread starter swirlyink
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, the conversation is about a person participating in a class for building rockets and drones, and they are researching magnetometers. The person is having trouble finding information on how magnetometers work and is asking for deeper insight. They are also given some references to read.
swirlyink
Hey everyone!

I'm participating in a sort of beginning class for building rockets and drones. As part of this, I'm to research information about a component of our sensors, specifically, a magnetometer. We're using the LSM9DS1 stick. I'm having a hard time finding any information about how magnetometers work beyond "Magnets and Earth man!" and I was wondering if anyone had deeper insight?

Thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org

1. What is a magnetometer?

A magnetometer is a scientific instrument that measures the strength and direction of magnetic fields. It can detect changes in the Earth's magnetic field, as well as magnetic fields produced by other objects or materials.

2. How do magnetometers work?

Magnetometers work by using a magnetized object, such as a compass needle or a small piece of magnetized material, to align with the Earth's magnetic field. As the magnetometer moves, the magnetized object also moves, and the changes in its position are recorded and measured.

3. What are the different types of magnetometers?

There are several types of magnetometers, including fluxgate, proton precession, and optically pumped magnetometers. Each type uses a different method to measure magnetic fields, but they all rely on the same principle of detecting changes in the alignment of a magnetized object.

4. What are the applications of magnetometers?

Magnetometers have a wide range of applications, including navigation, geophysical surveys, mineral exploration, and monitoring changes in the Earth's magnetic field. They are also used in medical imaging, archaeological studies, and space exploration.

5. Are magnetometers affected by external factors?

Yes, external factors such as other magnetic fields, temperature, and electrical currents can affect the accuracy of magnetometer readings. To minimize these effects, magnetometers are often shielded and calibrated regularly.