How Do Mitochondrial and Chloroplast Genetic Codes Differ?

• Thread starter Spammers
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the differences between the genetic codes and coding schemes of mitochondria and chloroplasts compared to eukaryotes. The person asking for help is sick and unable to complete their homework assignment on time and is seeking clarification on the specific differences between these organisms. The other person mentions that mitochondria and chloroplasts have evolved from bacteria and have a symbiotic relationship with eukaryotes. They also mention that the genetic codes and functions of mitochondria and chloroplasts differ from those of eukaryotes.
Spammers
I have a homework assignment to tell the differences between the two's genetic codes and their coding schemes also, but truthfully I am now really sick, so tired that I can't think up anything, I am really afraid that I can't pdf and hand in my report on time, would you please shed a light on that for me ?

Thank you.

Biology news on Phys.org
Are you looking for difference between mitochondiria and chloroplast or between mitochondria/chloroplast and eukaryotes?

I'll get you started. Chlorolast and mitochondria have evolved from bacteria and they form a symbiotic relationship with eukaryotes. The genetic codes is different between bacteria and eukaryotes.

Mitochondia aren't plastids like chloroplasts. Mitochondira also perform cell respiration while chloroplasts perform photosynthesis.(they are almost the exact opposite)

Related to How Do Mitochondrial and Chloroplast Genetic Codes Differ?

1. What is the main function of chloroplasts?

Chloroplasts are organelles found in plant cells that are responsible for photosynthesis, the process of converting sunlight into energy. They contain chlorophyll, a pigment that absorbs light and converts it into chemical energy in the form of glucose.

2. How are chloroplasts and mitochondria related?

Both chloroplasts and mitochondria are organelles found in eukaryotic cells. They both have their own DNA and are thought to have evolved from free-living bacteria that were engulfed by early eukaryotic cells. Both play important roles in energy production and metabolism within the cell.

3. What is the difference between chloroplasts and mitochondria?

The main difference between chloroplasts and mitochondria is their function. Chloroplasts are responsible for photosynthesis and converting light energy into chemical energy, while mitochondria are responsible for cellular respiration and converting chemical energy into ATP, the primary source of energy for cells.

4. How do chloroplasts and mitochondria work together?

Chloroplasts and mitochondria work together through a process called the carbon cycle. Chloroplasts use sunlight to convert carbon dioxide and water into glucose, which is then used by mitochondria to produce ATP through cellular respiration. This ATP is then used by the chloroplasts to power the photosynthesis process.

5. Can chloroplasts and mitochondria be found in animal cells?

No, chloroplasts are only found in plant cells, while mitochondria are found in both plant and animal cells. Animal cells obtain their energy through food sources, so they do not need chloroplasts for photosynthesis. However, some animal cells do contain chloroplast-like organelles called chromoplasts, which are responsible for producing and storing pigments.