How do Nuclear Submarines work in the James Bond movie

In summary, the well known terrorist, Renard, stole weapons grade plutonium and plans to use it in a Nuclear submarines reactor. If he were to insert the tube into the subs reactor, it could cause an "Instand catostrophic meltdown." Additionally, I was wondering how Nuclear subs work, and according to the summary, they work like nuclear reactors.
actingbiz1
I was watching a movie the other day, 007: The World is Not Enough
In the movie a well known terrorist, Renard, stole weapons grade plutonium. He sent 6 Kilos to waste on Elektra's pipeline, and the other 6 Kilos he is going to use in a Nuclear submarines reactor.

I just wanted to know, what would happen if he was to insert the tube into the subs reactor and why would plutonium cause an "Instand catostrophic meltdown" and uranium not?
And on the similar subject, how do Nuclear subs work?

Physics news on Phys.org
actingbiz1 said:
I was watching a movie the other day, 007: The World is Not Enough
In the movie a well known terrorist, Renard, stole weapons grade plutonium. He sent 6 Kilos to waste on Elektra's pipeline, and the other 6 Kilos he is going to use in a Nuclear submarines reactor.

I just wanted to know, what would happen if he was to insert the tube into the subs reactor and why would plutonium cause an "Instand catostrophic meltdown" and uranium not?
And on the similar subject, how do Nuclear subs work?

Did they say Uranium would not, or are you just assuming? Most Uranium is U-238, which isn't weapons grade. I think you need 90-something percent U-235 for it to be weapons grade. Also, the critical mass may be different (Plutonium is 244).

Yes, I was assuming... I'm only 15, so I don't know everything about weapons grade and all. I assume that "Weapons Grade" means out of the ground, cleaned and ready to blow.

Yes, I'm not too sure either (I myself, am 17). However, I think it has something to do with the critical mass of Uranium vs. Plutonium.

By the way, plutonium is found in minute traces naturally, thus it is all synthetically created. So when it comes to weapons grade in that sense, it is made that way.

I think it is almost safe to say that a nuclear sub works like a nuclear reactor. If this is the case, then adding plutonium (which is likely to be unstable) will cause more fissions in the reactor, and at a greater rate. The sub would blow up, along with the pipe lines that are the competing 3 Russian oil companies. The radiation would mean that Elecktra's pipe would be the only one and would mean she could charge as she likes.

The Bob (2004 ©)

another thing about that movie, How is highly enriched plutonium (weapons grade) safe? The villain hands the woman some of it, and assures her that it is safe to handle. The only thing that I can think of is that it is a coherent mass, and does not break off into small particles that can be inhaled or consumed, but can't free neutrons penetrate the skin anyway?

I've heard it is "warm to the touch."

1. How does a nuclear submarine move underwater?

Nuclear submarines use nuclear reactors to generate heat, which creates steam. This steam then powers turbines, which in turn rotate the propellers of the submarine, allowing it to move underwater.

2. How do nuclear submarines stay hidden from radar detection?

Nuclear submarines are designed with a special coating that absorbs and deflects radar signals, making them difficult to detect. They also have the ability to submerge deeper underwater, making it harder for radar signals to reach them.

3. How do nuclear submarines produce oxygen for the crew while underwater?

Nuclear submarines have a process called electrolysis, which uses electricity to split water molecules into oxygen and hydrogen. The oxygen is then used to supply the crew with breathable air, while the hydrogen is stored for later use as fuel.

4. How do nuclear submarines protect themselves from enemy attacks?

Nuclear submarines are equipped with advanced sonar systems, which allow them to detect and track potential threats. They also have a variety of weapons, such as torpedoes and missiles, to defend themselves against enemy attacks.

5. How long can a nuclear submarine stay underwater?

On average, nuclear submarines can stay submerged for 3-4 months, but some have the capability to stay underwater for up to 6 months. They have enough food, water, and oxygen supplies to sustain the crew for extended periods of time.