Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How Do Other People View You?

1. Oct 3, 2004 #1
    This is just a spinoff from the thread "How do you view other people". Usually, since I'm a math major, people tend to think I'm weird. "You like math?!", they would ask. I was wondering if anybody else here gets the same thing from people they know or meet.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm quite the loner.

I would recommend high powered binoculars.
  4. Oct 4, 2004 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you mean aside from the death threat?

Socially, its a tough thing to move from LA to a small timber town in Oregon in which half of the town is related. Throw in a love of physics, a lifelong dedication to environmentalism, strong and outspoken political views, and the timber crisis...hee hee, run for the hills ma!!! They haven't managed to string me up yet but for a while I wasn't sure... Oh well, "if you're not making enemies then you're not doing enough". Fortunately for my own skin I'm mellowing with age.

As for being one of the guys... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Not in this universe. If God is kind I will never really know what other people think of me.
  5. Oct 4, 2004 #4
    i like math too. i will say that i can do pretty well in it. i don't have that kind of problem from the people around me. my friends wished they could do the same, like math and do great in exams. sometimes people call other weird because they can never be them. just like when someone risk his life to save other, the selfish will think that it is unwise because they will never have the courage to do so.
  6. Oct 4, 2004 #5
    I think when you get right down to it, people jsut don't like me very much. My low tolerance for stupidity doesn't encourage them though, i'm sure. Oh well, the people who's opinions i care about generally like me, so its all good (of course thats only 5 out of six billion, but what the heck...)
  7. Oct 4, 2004 #6
    I think people either love me or hate me. I think thats because i ahve become very confident of myself, and some people quite like that but others hate it, especially when i have reason to be confident about something.
  8. Oct 4, 2004 #7
    I'm a loner but if people talk to me (I have no problem socializing. I just choose not to), they tend to notice that I'm cynical, bitter, slightly misanthropic, but at the same time and on the same level, modest, soft-hearted, and open-minded.

They also tend to agree I have a dry sense of humor.

I go to an engineering-science school so being a physics major doesn't make me any special.
  9. Oct 4, 2004 #8
    Well, I didn't really mean that they were picking on me. They're all friends of mine, it's just I'm the only one among them that likes math. Thankfully for me, I have a good sense of humor and an even better personality. At least, I think so. :uhh:
  10. Oct 4, 2004 #9
    That describes me, more or less. :approve:
  11. Oct 4, 2004 #10
    The average person views me as someone destined to be successful.
    I view myself as someone who only hopes to be successful.
    The intellects view me as a non-threatening person.
    I view myself as much more threatening and able than them.

I used to be outgoing.
    Now i am quite, constantly attempting to concentrate on what i need to get done.

I used to have girlfriends.
    Now i only imagine having the time for one, as well as the outgoing attitude to ask her out.

12. Oct 4, 2004 #11

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

People view me a someone to be looked up to; an intellectual giant to whose heights they can only aspire, a lion among mice; somone to praise, nay worship, usually by the the sacrfiice of animals and ritualistic canibalism.
  13. Oct 4, 2004 #12
    My sister said that my marriage was definitely designed in heaven - to prevent any other poor souls having to put up with me or my wife for a lifetime! :yuck:

Does that answer the question?
  14. Oct 4, 2004 #13

Staff: Mentor

First of all, I'd just like to say that I'm out of peanut butter. :grumpy: I've been too busy to cook and/or buy groceries lately and I've been living on the stuff. Now I have nothing to eat! :frown:

Oooh, I can check under the couch cushions...

People that don't know me think I am outgoing, friendly, "a people person", funny, sociable.

People that know me think I am an anti-social, reclusive workaholic, quiet, reserved.

Go figure.
  15. Oct 4, 2004 #14
    I'm not outgoing. I'm usually quiet, or at least I am at first. If I get to know you and get comfortable about you, it may be hard to get me to shut up.
  16. Oct 4, 2004 #15

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm petite, blonde, wear sparkly slippers, and I run around the office building responding to tech support calls. I think some people think I am the computer fairy. :biggrin:
  17. Oct 4, 2004 #16

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, let's see. I've been told I'm talkative, quiet, outgoing, keep to myself, arrogant, humble, intimidating, friendly, selfish, generous, a real team player, and don't work well with others.

Glad everyone agrees :biggrin: :rofl:
  18. Oct 4, 2004 #17
    Are you seeing anybody? :tongue:
  19. Oct 4, 2004 #18

Science Advisor

A co-worker calls me 'Bank of America' because I always have money the day before payday.

Say, could anyone spare a ten?
  20. Oct 4, 2004 #19

Science Advisor

People think I'm weird because I always say the most random things.
  21. Oct 4, 2004 #20
    I'd agree with that.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?