What does it mean if something is 150% stronger than something else?

• Thread starter kramer733
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, the conversation discusses the strength comparison between the upcoming Wii U console and the PS3. It is rumored to be 50% stronger, meaning it would be 1.5x stronger than the PS3. The concept of percentage in terms of multiplication is also discussed, with 150% meaning 2.5x stronger. The conversation also clarifies why the original 100% is added when calculating percentage strength.
kramer733
Recently I've heard about the new next gen console coming along. (Wii U) and I've heard rumors that it is 50% stronger than the ps3. That means it's 1.5x stronger than the ps3.

So if it's 100% stronger than the ps3, the wii U would be 2x stronger.

After 100%, i don't know how it works. If something is 150% stronger than something else, what does it mean in terms of multiplication?

Can somebody explain to me how it works? Would 150% mean 3.5x better?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You're on the right track kramer733.

If something is 150% stronger, that means you add it's original 100% strength to the new 150%, i.e.:
[tex] 100 \% + 150\% = 250\%[/tex]. And remember that 'per-cent' means relative to 100, therefore, we can rewrite the percentage as a number:
[tex] 250\% = 250/100 = 2.5[/tex]
So something 150% stronger, means it is 2.5x as strong.

Just curious but why do we add the 100%? Like i sort of understand it but the understanding is at the tip of my tongue.

150%/100 would only be 1.5x as strong. So we add 100% but i feel like that part is still weird to me.

Because its not just "150 percent the strength" which would be 150%,
instead, its "150 percent more" or "150 percent stronger" so you have to add it to the original (which is 100%).

Let's take the extreme case - it is 0% stronger, which means it is not stronger. You don't multiply by 0%, or else Wii U would be utterly useless. Instead we take 1+0%, since it is 0% in addition to the original 100%. Just remember that the 100% is just 1, which is the whole, or original thing (adding 100% is adding the original strength to the bonus strength).

Thanks. That clarified alot.

1. How do you calculate a percentage?

The formula for calculating a percentage is (part/whole) * 100. This means you need to divide the part by the whole, then multiply the result by 100 to get the percentage. For example, if you want to find out what percentage of 50 is 20, the calculation would be (20/50) * 100 = 40%.

2. What is the difference between a percentage and a decimal?

A percentage is a fraction of 100 and is represented by the symbol "%". A decimal, on the other hand, is a fraction of 1 and is represented by a decimal point. For example, 50% is the same as 0.50 in decimal form.

3. How do percentages relate to fractions and decimals?

Percentages, fractions, and decimals are all different ways of representing numbers. Percentages are used to show a part of a whole, fractions are used to show a part of a whole divided into equal parts, and decimals are used to show a part of a whole divided into 10 equal parts.

4. How do you convert a decimal to a percentage?

To convert a decimal to a percentage, simply multiply the decimal by 100 and add the "%" symbol. For example, 0.75 in decimal form is equal to 75% in percentage form.

5. How do percentages work in real-life situations?

Percentages are commonly used in everyday life to express things like discounts, interest rates, and statistics. For example, if an item is on sale for 25% off, it means the price has been reduced by 25% of the original price. Similarly, an interest rate of 5% means you will be charged 5% of the loan amount in addition to the loan itself. Percentages are also used to show the results of surveys or polls.