How do physicists use differential equations to describe the world?

• Thread starter aychamo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physicists
In summary, physicists arrive at equations by using mathematics, plotting data and recognizing patterns, and making deductions from deep physics theories. They use tools such as differential equations to describe relationships between changing quantities. Some approaches include experimenting with data and seeking to describe it with equations, and others involve starting with a cool idea and building equations from it.
aychamo
Hey guys

I don't understand how physicists arrive at equations that describe things.

Even Newton's equations, which look very simple, I don't see how he came up with them.

I can't imagine dropping a ball, observing it and then making a formula. I assume that took a lot of measurements, etc, and I know the units probably helped. When I am working physics problems and forget my equations I can write a unit style equation and help me remember it, but he had to damn invent the units too (ie, force.)

And those were so simple. I saw some program on Discovery channel and this physics guy was looking through an old math book and saw a formula and he realized that forumla perfectly described whatever he was looking to describe. How in the hell? :)

An enamored biologist,
Aychamo

Physics news on Phys.org
How do physicist do it?

With electricity!

Mathematics, plotting points, calculating numerical values, and figuring out how they act in space...formula translation...math is a descriptive language, it describes shapes, Circle/triangle/square and from that can be used to describe many other phenomenon...

...except "emptiness" that one they haven't quite finished counting yet...

(that ones a joke )

That's a really good question aychamo!

The approach you describe isn't all that inaccurate, as a description of what 'experimental' physicists (and astronomers) do. In astronomy there are lots of examples of deep results which began as a diligent astronomer plotting some data on a chart and noticing they fell (more or less) on a straight line. Of course, there are many ways to plot data, but kneading and pummelling it with simple tools can often make a pattern show up as a straight line, and the rest, as they say, becomes history.

Theoreticians approach things rather differently. Some have a cool idea, and can take that idea and write the most beautiful equations from it (the experimentalists then take delight in seeing if it resembles anything remotely testable). Some take deep physics from the giants and seek to find ways to describe - with equations - what that deep physics means in this situation or that (e.g. the space between galaxy clusters, ordinary matter squeezed into a ball with the density of atomic nuclei, ...). And some have yet other ways of making their magic.

Let's see how others respond to your post; my two paragraphs are very short, and in many ways do much violence to what really takes place. :wink:

One key is being able to recognize what is changing, frequently observations revel how one thing changes with respect to something else. The relationship of these changes can be expressed mathematically as a differential equation.

For example, you can say that the CHANGE in population is proportional to the number of people so if P is the population you can write

[tex] \frac {dP} {dt} = kP [/tex]

Now by solving the differential equation you arrive at a time dependent model of the population (This leads to Malthus's Model, it is an over simplification!)

1. How do physicists come up with new theories and ideas?

Physicists use a combination of observation, experimentation, and mathematical analysis to develop new theories and ideas. They carefully observe the natural world and conduct experiments to gather data. Then, they use mathematical models and equations to analyze the data and come up with new theories to explain the phenomena they have observed.

2. What tools and equipment do physicists use in their research?

Physicists use a wide range of tools and equipment in their research, depending on the specific field they are studying. Some common tools include telescopes, microscopes, particle accelerators, lasers, and computer simulations. They also use specialized equipment for data collection and analysis, such as spectrometers, detectors, and sensors.

3. How do physicists test their theories?

Physicists test their theories through experiments and observations. They design experiments to gather data and test their hypotheses. If the results of the experiments support their theories, they may make predictions and conduct further experiments to confirm their findings. Physicists also use peer review to have their theories evaluated and tested by other experts in the field.

4. How do physicists collaborate with each other?

Physicists often work in teams and collaborate with each other to share ideas, data, and resources. They may work in research institutions, universities, or government laboratories. They also attend conferences and workshops to present their research and discuss ideas with colleagues. With advances in technology, physicists can also collaborate remotely through video conferencing and file sharing.

5. How do physicists apply their research to real-world problems?

Many physicists apply their research to real-world problems and technologies. For example, physicists in the field of materials science develop new materials with specific properties that can be used in various industries. They also contribute to the development of new technologies, such as renewable energy sources, medical imaging techniques, and communication devices. Additionally, some physicists apply their research to address societal issues, such as climate change and environmental sustainability.