Can Ohm's Law Be Defied with Independent Power Sources?

In summary, the voltage across a resistance is V = IR. If I connect a resistor R and a power supply of 5V 2 A then how does ohms law work here? I could change R to anything I want but the source would stay at 5 V and 2 amps regardless of what I do because it is an independent source. Meaning that I could have a resistance of 500 Ohm while at the same time have a voltage of 5V and 2Amps which does not follow ohms law.
Boltzman Oscillation
TL;DR Summary
In my study of electrical engineering I have been told that the voltage across a resistance is V = IR. If I connect a resistor R and a power supply of 5V 2 A then how does ohms law work here?
In my study of electrical engineering I have been told that the voltage across a resistance is V = IR. If I connect a resistor R and a power supply of 5V 2 A then how does ohms law work here? I could change R to anything I want but the source would stay at 5 V and 2 amps regardless of what I do because it is an independent source. Meaning that I could have a resistance of 500 Ohm while at the same time have a voltage of 5V and 2Amps which does not follow ohms law.

Engineering news on Phys.org
As far as my knowledge goes, in electronics you have voltage sources and current sources. The former holds the voltage constant, while the latter holds the current constant.

You are right, one cannot hold both voltage and current constant simultaneously.

Boltzman Oscillation said:
power supply of 5V 2 A
I believe it is the "voltage and current rating" of the power source. It means the power source can produce maximum 5V and can supply maximum 2A.

Likes davenn
cnh1995 said:
I believe it is the "voltage and current rating" of the power source. It means the power source can produce maximum 5V and can supply maximum 2A.
Oh so the rating of the power source just tells you how much it can produce but now what I'd does produce? That makes way more sense! Thank you!

Likes Windadct and anorlunda
Oh so the rating of the power source just tells you how much it can produce but now what I'd does produce? That makes way more sense! Thank you!
If it is a regulated voltage source, the amp rating tell you how many amps a load can draw without it effecting the output voltage.
So for example, with a 5V 2A source, you could connect up to a 2.5 ohm load and the source would be able to maintain the output voltage ( though in reality, you wouldn't want to push things this close to the limit). However, if you tried to connect a 1 ohm load, the output voltage would be drawn down to lower than 5V. You also risk damaging the power source.

Likes davenn
Janus said:
If it is a regulated voltage source, the amp rating tell you how many amps a load can draw without it effecting the output voltage.
So for example, with a 5V 2A source, you could connect up to a 2.5 ohm load and the source would be able to maintain the output voltage ( though in reality, you wouldn't want to push things this close to the limit). However, if you tried to connect a 1 ohm load, the output voltage would be drawn down to lower than 5V. You also risk damaging the power source.
And that is because you would be drawing around 5 amps?

To add to this, voltage is the one being limited when a huge resistance is connected. Why can't the current be the one being limited?

To add to this, voltage is the one being limited when a huge resistance is connected. Why can't the current be the one being limited?
You can make them either way. Constant voltage, or constant current, or switchable between the two. They can also have overcurrent protection, reverse current protection, over/under voltage protection, overheating protection, AC or DC, and more. It just depends on how fancy and how much money you want to spend.

ONLY if the PSU was capable of supplying 5A
When it isn't, the voltage out of the PSU will sag (drop)

No, there's still the same voltage across the resistor, say 12V from the PSU, that doesn't change ...
You can easily measure that.
BUT the current is limited as the resistance increases...
That is easily measured as well

Why can't the current be the one being limited?
We distribute power over fixed voltage networks that have voltages close to ground. That is to protect the wiring insulation. We connect loads in parallel across the standard voltage supply. Each load is independent and draws the current it's resistance determines.

If the current was fixed we would have to connect loads in series. When anyone turned something off the terminals would need to be shorted to prevent other loads losing their power supply current. All devices plugged in would need to use the same current, but drop only sufficient voltage for their power requirement. The extremely high and variable voltage across the terminals at the generator end of the circuit would arc through the air and insulation.

The concept of constant electrical current distribution has an interesting practical analogy.

Machinery operated by hydraulic systems often have a fixed pump flow rate = current.
Power = the volumetric flow rate of fluid * pressure; just like the electrical; W = I * V.

When the freely circulating fluid flow is diverted to an actuator, the flow is obstructed until the pressure builds up to overcome the resistance of the obstructing actuator. Several actuators operated in series at the same time move with proportional speeds, but then share the available pressure.

There is an over-pressure relief valve at the pump that prevents hoses bursting, (equivalent to electrical insulation breakdown), when immovable objects obstruct irresistible forces.

Likes Averagesupernova
Concerning @Baluncore last post. One thing taught in hydraulics is to train yourself to think that a pump creates the flow. Not pressure. Certainly not on its own. It takes a restriction of the flow to build pressure.

Likes sophiecentaur

1. How does electricity work?

Electricity is the flow of electrons through a conductive material, such as a wire. This flow of electrons creates an electric current, which can be used to power devices.

2. What are the different types of power sources?

There are many different types of power sources, including fossil fuels (such as coal, oil, and natural gas), nuclear energy, renewable energy (such as solar, wind, and hydroelectric), and batteries.

3. How does a power plant work?

A power plant typically uses a fuel source, such as coal or natural gas, to heat water and create steam. The steam then turns a turbine, which generates electricity.

4. What is the difference between AC and DC power?

AC (alternating current) power is the type of electricity that is commonly used in homes and businesses. It alternates direction as it flows, which allows it to travel long distances without losing much energy. DC (direct current) power flows in only one direction and is commonly used in batteries and electronic devices.

5. How do renewable energy sources work?

Renewable energy sources, such as solar and wind, generate electricity by harnessing natural resources, such as sunlight and wind. Solar panels convert sunlight into electricity, while wind turbines use the power of wind to turn a turbine and generate electricity.