What is the frequency of proton oscillation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of protons oscillating and whether they move back and forth with a constant velocity or like a mass on a spring. The speaker also mentions that they are under the assumption that particles oscillate in general and wants to know how, not why. However, the other speaker points out that this assumption is not necessarily true and that protons do not oscillate on their own. They also mention that it is difficult to answer a question based on a false premise.
Devin
How do protons oscillate? Do they move back and forth with a constant velocity, or sort of like a mass on a spring? If so, what is the frequency of oscillation? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Devin said:
How do protons oscillate? Do they move back and forth with a constant velocity, or sort of like a mass on a spring? If so, what is the frequency of oscillation? Thanks

What makes you think that protons oscillate in general? I can set up a system where I can make a proton oscillate in space, but in that case, I could give it any frequency I wanted.

Constant velocity is characteristic of flat-bottomed, square well. Big nuclei approach it, small ones do not.

The question makes some unclear assumption about protons which is probably not true.

snorkack said:
Constant velocity is characteristic of flat-bottomed, square well. Big nuclei approach it, small ones do not.
Even in large nuclei, the protons inside form a standing wave, so they don't oscillate.

I know so little about the tiny world that provides us our laws. I am under the assumption that particles oscillate in general. I just want to know how. Not why. The why is easy.

They can oscillate, but in general they do not.

Devin said:
I know so little about the tiny world that provides us our laws. I am under the assumption that particles oscillate in general. I just want to know how. Not why. The why is easy.

Protons are just like everything else, under some conditions they can oscillate, under others they will behave in other ways.

mfb said:
They can oscillate, but in general they do not.
Can it be said that wave functions which undergo some sort of periodic change tend to emit something?

That depends on the periodic change and its cause.

What kinds of wave functions have modulus changing?
Changing the argument of wave function while leaving the modulus constant should leave the probability density constant.

Devin said:
I am under the assumption that particles oscillate in general.

It's your assumption. How can we explain it?

Likes Imager
Devin said:

Protons don't oscillate on its own.

Unless you are able to show us where you got such an idea, there is no way for us to answer a question that started off with a false premise. It is like you are asking us to explain why unicorns are purple.

Zz.

1. What are protons?

Protons are positively charged subatomic particles that are found in the nucleus of an atom. They have a mass of approximately 1 atomic mass unit and are essential for the stability of atoms.

2. How do protons oscillate?

Protons oscillate, or vibrate, within the nucleus of an atom due to the forces between them and the neutrons. This oscillation is a result of the strong nuclear force, which is one of the four fundamental forces in nature.

3. What causes protons to oscillate?

The oscillation of protons is caused by the strong nuclear force, which is the force that holds the nucleus of an atom together. This force is much stronger than the electromagnetic force, which is responsible for the interaction between charged particles.

4. What is the significance of protons oscillating?

The oscillation of protons is significant because it is a fundamental property of matter and plays a crucial role in the stability of atoms. It also has implications in fields such as nuclear physics and quantum mechanics.

5. Can we observe protons oscillating?

Yes, we can indirectly observe protons oscillating through experiments such as nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) and electron paramagnetic resonance (EPR). These techniques use the magnetic properties of protons to detect their oscillations and provide valuable information about the structure and behavior of matter.