Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do protons oscillate?

1. Aug 5, 2015 #1
    How do protons oscillate? Do they move back and forth with a constant velocity, or sorta like a mass on a spring? If so, what is the frequency of oscillation? Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2015 #2

e.bar.goum

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

What makes you think that protons oscillate in general? I can set up a system where I can make a proton oscillate in space, but in that case, I could give it any frequency I wanted.

4. Aug 6, 2015 #3
    Constant velocity is characteristic of flat-bottomed, square well. Big nuclei approach it, small ones do not.

5. Aug 6, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The question makes some unclear assumption about protons which is probably not true.

Even in large nuclei, the protons inside form a standing wave, so they don't oscillate.

6. Aug 6, 2015 #5
    I know so little about the tiny world that provides us our laws. I am under the assumption that particles oscillate in general. I just want to know how. Not why. The why is easy.

7. Aug 6, 2015 #6

mfb

2016 Award

They can oscillate, but in general they do not.

8. Aug 6, 2015 #7
    Protons are just like everything else, under some conditions they can oscillate, under others they will behave in other ways.

9. Aug 6, 2015 #8
    Can it be said that wave functions which undergo some sort of periodic change tend to emit something?

10. Aug 6, 2015 #9

mfb

2016 Award

That depends on the periodic change and its cause.

11. Aug 7, 2015 #10
    What kinds of wave functions have modulus changing?
    Changing the argument of wave function while leaving the modulus constant should leave the probability density constant.

12. Aug 7, 2015 #11

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It's your assumption. How can we explain it?

13. Aug 7, 2015 #12

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Protons don't oscillate on its own.

Unless you are able to show us where you got such an idea, there is no way for us to answer a question that started off with a false premise. It is like you are asking us to explain why unicorns are purple.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook