Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do S0 galaxies form?

1. Aug 13, 2010 #1

I'm wondering how S0 type galaxies form. I heard that it may be due to an end to star formation and a supposed resultant instability in the disk. Does anyone know about this or might be able to point me towards some relevant papers?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Canabalizing other galaxies is the short answer.
  4. Aug 14, 2010 #3

So what differentiates them from ellipticals? What sort of mass do they typically have too?
  5. Aug 18, 2010 #4
    S0 galaxies are essentially the transition point in galaxy evolution. These galaxies are found in cluster environments where they are subject to a variety of mechanisms that serve to remove the cold gas reservoir of the galaxy. These mechanisms (strangulation, harassment, tidal stripping, ram-pressure stripping) all serve to halt star formation in what was once a star-forming (late-type) galaxy, and evolve it into an early-type galaxy.

An example from the theorist's perspective (the issue here is that models produce satellite galaxies that are too red, as the star formation quenching is too efficient ) can be found here:

Whilst the a more observational approach (using data from the Sloan Digital Sky Survey) can be found here:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook