I hope this helps answer your question!

In summary, S0 galaxies are formed through various mechanisms that lead to the cessation of star formation and the evolution of a once star-forming galaxy into an early-type galaxy. This can be seen through both theoretical and observational studies.
taylrl3
Hi,

I'm wondering how S0 type galaxies form. I heard that it may be due to an end to star formation and a supposed resultant instability in the disk. Does anyone know about this or might be able to point me towards some relevant papers?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Canabalizing other galaxies is the short answer.

Thanks.

So what differentiates them from ellipticals? What sort of mass do they typically have too?

S0 galaxies are essentially the transition point in galaxy evolution. These galaxies are found in cluster environments where they are subject to a variety of mechanisms that serve to remove the cold gas reservoir of the galaxy. These mechanisms (strangulation, harassment, tidal stripping, ram-pressure stripping) all serve to halt star formation in what was once a star-forming (late-type) galaxy, and evolve it into an early-type galaxy.

An example from the theorist's perspective (the issue here is that models produce satellite galaxies that are too red, as the star formation quenching is too efficient ) can be found here:

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2008MNRAS.383..593M

Whilst the a more observational approach (using data from the Sloan Digital Sky Survey) can be found here:

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2003MNRAS.346..601G

Dear curious scientist,

Thank you for your question about S0 type galaxies. You are correct in your understanding that these galaxies are formed due to an end to star formation and a resulting instability in the disk. This process is known as "quenching" and it is believed to be caused by a combination of factors such as interactions with other galaxies, gas depletion, and environmental effects.

There have been several studies on the formation of S0 galaxies, and I would recommend looking into the work of Dr. Francesca Annibali, who has published extensively on the topic. Additionally, the Hubble Space Telescope has captured stunning images and data on S0 galaxies, providing valuable insights into their formation.

I hope this helps answer your question and leads you to further explore this fascinating area of research. Best of luck in your studies!

Sincerely,

1. How do S0 galaxies form?

S0 galaxies, also known as lenticular galaxies, are thought to form through a combination of processes such as mergers, interactions with other galaxies, and gas depletion. These processes can strip away the gas and dust needed for star formation, resulting in a disk-like galaxy with a central bulge.

2. What is the role of dark matter in the formation of S0 galaxies?

Dark matter is believed to play a major role in the formation of S0 galaxies. The presence of dark matter helps to stabilize the disk of the galaxy and allows it to retain its shape despite interactions with other galaxies. Dark matter also helps to regulate the amount of gas available for star formation.

3. What evidence supports the theory of S0 galaxy formation through mergers?

Studies of S0 galaxies have revealed that they often have complex and asymmetric structures, which is indicative of past mergers. In addition, computer simulations have shown that mergers can result in the formation of S0 galaxies with similar characteristics to those observed in the universe.

4. How do S0 galaxies differ from spiral galaxies?

S0 galaxies and spiral galaxies have similar disk-like structures, but S0 galaxies lack the distinctive spiral arms and contain little to no gas and dust. They also tend to have older stellar populations and a larger central bulge compared to spiral galaxies.

5. Can S0 galaxies evolve into other types of galaxies?

Yes, S0 galaxies can evolve into other types of galaxies through processes such as the accretion of gas from the surrounding environment or interactions with other galaxies. This can result in the rejuvenation of star formation and the transformation of an S0 galaxy into a spiral or elliptical galaxy.