How do solar sails defy the laws of physics?

In summary, even though photons have no mass, they still carry momentum and energy, which can explain the operation of a solar sail through conservation of momentum. This means that when a light source emits light, there is a resultant force in the opposite direction for the light emitting object. This is similar to how magnets push each other. One proposed method of pushing a solar sail is by mounting a laser on it.
BlakeG.
I briefly researched this and all i found out was that the light pushes the sail as it is reflected off of its surface.

So i am left wondering how this is possible because photons apparently have no mass therefor they can't push anything. I'm sorry if this is ignorant i am no physicist. Thanks!

and if this belongs in a different area just let me know.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Even though photons have no mass, they do carry momentum. Even in classical electromagnetism (in which photons do not appear), electromagnetic waves carry momentum and energy. All you need to explain the operation of a solar sail is conservation of momentum.

Thank you! sort of how magnets push each other i'd assume.

When a light source emits light, if the light has momentum, does this mean that there is a resultant force in the opposite direction for the light emitting object?

Denton said:
When a light source emits light, if the light has momentum, does this mean that there is a resultant force in the opposite direction for the light emitting object?

yes i think so because one plan to aid pushing the solar sail was to mount a laser on it to push the sail along

1. How do solar sails use sunlight to propel a spacecraft?

Solar sails use the pressure of sunlight to propel a spacecraft forward. The sail is made of a reflective material, such as aluminum, that reflects sunlight. The photons of light transfer their momentum to the sail, causing it to move forward in the opposite direction.

2. How can solar sails work in the vacuum of space?

Despite the vacuum of space, solar sails are still able to propel a spacecraft. This is because the pressure of sunlight is not dependent on air molecules, but rather on the photons of light themselves. As long as the sail is in the path of sunlight, it will experience a force and be able to move.

3. What keeps the solar sail stable and facing the sun?

Solar sails are equipped with attitude control systems that use small motors or thrusters to adjust the orientation of the sail. These systems use sensors to detect the position of the sun and make necessary adjustments to keep the sail facing the sun at all times.

4. How do solar sails differ from traditional rocket propulsion systems?

Solar sails use the pressure of sunlight for propulsion, whereas traditional rocket propulsion systems use the combustion of fuel. This makes solar sails much more efficient, as there is no need to carry heavy fuel on board. However, they are limited by the amount of sunlight available and cannot be used for quick maneuvers.

5. Can solar sails travel to other planets and beyond?

Yes, solar sails can theoretically travel to other planets and even to other star systems. However, they are limited by the amount of sunlight available and the speed at which they can travel. It would take many years for a solar sail-powered spacecraft to reach another star system, making it impractical for human space travel.