How do sound waves interact when two radios are facing each other?

In summary, this conversation is discussing how sound waves work. Twice as loud is all that you'll notice because the sound power will reach your ears. Diffraction will always occur at an obstacle, but the obstacle, a radio, is small and its diffraction pattern would be very low level and of no identifiable form.
doglover9754
Gold Member
So again, I’ve got this analytical question on my mind and it’s been bugging me for a couple weeks now. So my question is, how do sound waves work? I’m talking about if you put two radios facing each other playing different songs. What would happen? Is it if waves match then they just combine and become louder? Or is it just my hearing? How about this, if you put two radios facing each other and playing the same song. It will just become louder right? But the radio in front of the other radio is blocking the sound waves from traveling on its usual course. So wouldn’t that mean that you would hear the song at the same volume like using one radio? I’m not sure if this makes sense to you or not so I’m sorry if it doesn’t. Also, for those of you who have read my other analytical questions, I’m sorry if it seems like I’m just bugging you and I’m just overthinking it.

Physics news on Phys.org
doglover9754 said:
How about this, if you put two radios facing each other and playing the same song. It will just become louder right?
That's very oversimplified. Two loudspeakers playing exactly the same tone can produce maxima and minima (or even nulls) in various directions due to wave interference. When the sound played is a complicated, real sound like speech or music, the interference maxes and mins are in different directions for the different frequencies so you will not find a null or a maximum in any particular direction. "Twice as loud" is all you will notice because twice the sound power will reach your ears.
Any normal sized radio will not produce a noticeable 'shadow' behind it so that the sound would be pretty much twice as loud, even behind one of them.

sophiecentaur said:
"Twice as loud" is all you will notice because twice the sound power will reach your ears.
Any normal sized radio will not produce a noticeable 'shadow' behind it so that the sound would be pretty much twice as loud, even behind one of them.
But then won’t the sound waves bounce off the other speaker and kinda like turn to a different place (diffraction I think that’s what it’s called). So wouldn’t you hear the same volume with the 2 speakers facing each other and just one speaker? Or would it change depending on where you stand?

doglover9754 said:
like turn to a different place (diffraction
Yes. Diffraction will always occur at an obstacle. It's just that the obstacle, a radio, is small and its diffraction pattern would be very low level and of no identifiable form. I would actually defy you to tell any difference with second radio there or radio not there (turned off, of course). There are so many other paths for the sound to get from radio to ear.

sophiecentaur said:
Yes. Diffraction will always occur at an obstacle. It's just that the obstacle, a radio, is small and its diffraction pattern would be very low level and of no identifiable form. I would actually defy you to tell any difference with second radio there or radio not there (turned off, of course). There are so many other paths for the sound to get from radio to ear.
Ahhhh. That makes sense! Thanks!

1. How do sound waves travel?

Sound waves travel through a medium, such as air or water, by causing molecules in the medium to vibrate. These vibrations create a series of compressions and rarefactions that propagate outward in all directions, carrying the sound energy with them.

2. What causes sound waves?

Sound waves are caused by vibrations or movements of an object. When an object vibrates, it causes the air particles around it to vibrate as well, creating sound waves that travel through the air.

3. How do we hear sound waves?

When sound waves reach our ears, they cause our eardrums to vibrate. These vibrations are then transmitted to the inner ear, where tiny hair cells convert them into electrical signals that are sent to the brain. The brain interprets these signals as sound.

4. Can sound waves travel through outer space?

No, sound waves cannot travel through outer space. Sound waves require a medium to propagate, such as air, water, or solid objects. Since there is no medium in outer space, sound waves cannot travel through it.

5. How do sound waves differ from other types of waves?

Sound waves are mechanical waves, which means they require a medium to travel through. They also travel at a slower speed compared to electromagnetic waves, such as light or radio waves. Unlike light waves, sound waves cannot travel through a vacuum and are affected by obstacles and barriers in their path.