What is the physics behind the functioning of thermocouples?

• Thread starter krackers
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, the thermocouple is a device that converts thermal energy into electrical energy based on the principles of the thermoelectric effect. This effect involves the diffusion of hot and cold carriers, or electrons, in opposite directions. In order for this diffusion to create an electrical potential difference, two different metals must be used in the thermocouple. The scattering of electrons by impurities, imperfections, lattice vibrations, and phonons plays a role in determining the rate of diffusion and ultimately the creation of the electrostatic voltage.
krackers
Hello there! I am planning to do an experiment on thermocouples but have a few questions.

1. What is the physics behind why the thermocouple works?

2. Why do two different metals need to be used for making this?

Thank you!

Science news on Phys.org
Do you understand what a Fermi surface is?

No, I do not.

However, I did look through wikipedia and I think I might have found a section that pertains to my question. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoelectric_effect#Charge-carrier_diffusion]

The part I am not clear on is this. [Taken from that article directly]

"If the rate of diffusion of hot and cold carriers in opposite directions is equal, there is no net change in charge. The diffusing charges are scattered by impurities, imperfections, and lattice vibrations or phonons. If the scattering is energy dependent, the hot and cold carriers will diffuse at different rates, creating a higher density of carriers at one end of the material and an electrostatic voltage."

Why would there be no potential difference if the rate of movement of the hot/cool electrons is equal? Why are two different metals necessary? Why would impurities, imperfections, lattice vibrations, or phonons make them diffuse at different rates, and how does that end up creating an electrostatic voltage?

Last edited:

1. How do thermocouples generate electricity?

Thermocouples generate electricity through the Seebeck effect, which is the conversion of temperature difference into electrical voltage. This is due to the fact that the junction of two different metals creates a small voltage when there is a temperature difference between the two junctions.

2. What are the two metals used in thermocouples?

The two metals used in thermocouples are typically different types of alloys, such as iron-constantan or chromel-alumel. These metals have different thermoelectric properties, which allows them to produce a voltage when there is a temperature difference between the two junctions.

3. How do thermocouples measure temperature?

Thermocouples measure temperature by detecting the voltage produced at the junction of the two metals. This voltage is then converted into a temperature reading using a reference table or equation that correlates the voltage to a specific temperature.

4. What is the range of temperatures that thermocouples can measure?

The range of temperatures that thermocouples can measure depends on the type of metals used and the accuracy of the instrument. Generally, they can measure temperatures from -200°C to 2000°C, with an accuracy of around ±0.5°C to ±2.5°C.

5. How do factors such as humidity and electromagnetic interference affect thermocouple measurements?

Factors such as humidity and electromagnetic interference can affect thermocouple measurements by introducing additional sources of heat and electrical noise, which can disrupt the voltage output and affect the accuracy of the temperature reading. To minimize these effects, thermocouples are often shielded and placed in environments with controlled humidity levels.