How do we decide dimension of motion?

In summary: This reference doesn't relate coordinate system and dimension.@Pushoam perhaps it would be helpful to you to think of things from the point of view of a traveler. A traveler on a circle can go forward and backward but although he is not able of his own volition to vary the DEGREE to which he moves left/right, he does none-the-less have to also move left/right AS he goes forward/backward, thus 2D motion. In a straight line, this is not the case, so 1D motion. In a helix, he would have to move left/right, forward/backward, and up/down, thus 3D motion.In summary, when
Pushoam
How do we decide dimension of motion?
Consider a particle moving along ##\hat x ## direction.
This motion is known as one dimensional motion as only one coordinate i.e. x is changing with respect to time.
Consider a particle having circular motion in X-Y plane.
In Cartesian Coordinate system, both x and y are changing with respect to time and hence the motion is two dimensional.
But in Polar coordinate system(r,θ) ,only one coordinate i.e. θ is changing with respect to time and hence the motion is one dimensional.
So, does the dimension of motion depend on the coordinate system?
Or,
Do we always use Cartesian Coordinate system to determine the dimension of motion ?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the motion is in a straight line, it is one dimensional. If it is not in a straight line, but is occurring in a plane, it is two dimensional. If it is not in a straight line, and is not occurring in a plane, it is three dimensional.

Likes Pushoam
Thank you for replying,
Chestermiller said:
If the motion is in a straight line, it is one dimensional. If it is not in a straight line, but is occurring in a plane, it is two dimensional. If it is not in a straight line, and is not occurring in a plane, it is three dimensional.
According to this ,
no.of dimension of motion = no.of Cartesian coordinates (needed to describe the motion) changing with respect to time

Can you please give me some reference for it?

Pushoam said:
Thank you for replying,

According to this ,
no.of dimension of motion = no.of Cartesian coordinates (needed to describe the motion) changing with respect to time

In some contexts, 1D means that the problem can be described using 1 spatial independent variable, 2D means that the problem can be described using 2 spatial independent variables, and 3D means that the problem must be described using 3 spatial independent variables.

Chestermiller said:
In some contexts, 1D means that the problem can be described using 1 spatial independent variable, 2D means that the problem can be described using 2 spatial independent variables, and 3D means that the problem must be described using 3 spatial independent variables.
I want to know these contexts.
Because for circular motion,2 spatial independent variables are needed in Cartesialn Cordinate system, while only one spatial independent variable is needed in Polar Coordinates.

Pushoam said:
In Cartesian Coordinate system, both x and y are changing with respect to time and hence the motion is two dimensional.
But in Polar coordinate system(r,θ) ,only one coordinate i.e. θ is changing with respect to time and hence the motion is one dimensional.
So, does the dimension of motion depend on the coordinate system

Pushoam said:
while only one spatial independent variable is needed in Polar Coordinates.
Hmm, you may want to rethink that...
Pushoam said:
Who says that r is fixed? :wink:
r is of course not necessarily fixed to a specific value, and it is independent of θ, thus the motion can also occur in two dimensions (assuming polar coordinates).

EDIT: Also, when r is fixed and θ is changing (using polar coordinates), both x and y are changing in the rectangular (Cartesian) coordinate system.

Pushoam said:
See e.g. Coordinate Systems (HyperPhysics)

DennisN said:
Who says that r is fixed? :wink:
In circular motion , r remains constant.

Pushoam said:
In circular motion , r remains constant.
Ok... then, who says the motion has to be circular? Note: I promise I am not trying to annoy you :wink:.

DennisN said:
Ok... then, who says the motion is circular? Note: I promise I am not trying to annoy you :wink:.
I have taken circular motion as an example.
Pushoam said:
DennisN said:
See e.g. Coordinate Systems (HyperPhysics)

This reference doesn't relate coordinate system and dimension.

@Pushoam perhaps it would be helpful to you to think of things from the point of view of a traveler. A traveler on a circle can go forward and backward but although he is not able of his own volition to vary the DEGREE to which he moves left/right, he does none-the-less have to also move left/right AS he goes forward/backward, thus 2D motion. In a straight line, this is not the case, so 1D motion. In a helix, he would have to move left/right, forward/backward, and up/down, thus 3D motion.

phinds said:
@Pushoam perhaps it would be helpful to you to think of things from the point of view of a traveler. A traveler on a circle can go forward and backward but although he is not able of his own volition to vary the DEGREE to which he moves left/right, he does none-the-less have to also move left/right AS he goes forward/backward, thus 2D motion. In a straight line, this is not the case, so 1D motion. In a helix, he would have to move left/right, forward/backward, and up/down, thus 3D motion.
From this ,too, the following can be concluded:
Pushoam said:
Isn't the above statement right?
Can you please give me an example where the above statement won't work?

A vector ##\mathbf{x}## or a set of vectors ##\mathbf{x}_i## in 2D can be obtained with a projection operation from higher-dimensional vectors of arbitrary dimensionality, so it isn't really useful to debate whether circular motion happens in 1D or 2D.

Likes Nugatory
hilbert2 said:
A vector ##\mathbf{x}## or a set of vectors ##\mathbf{x}_i## in 2D can be obtained with a projection operation from higher-dimensional vectors of arbitrary dimensionality, so it isn't really useful to debate whether circular motion happens in 1D or 2D.
I don't know about others here but I have no idea what you just said. Is it possible to express it in English?

Well, a vector ##(x,y)## can be obtained from ##(x,y,0)##, ##(x,y,0,0)##, ##(x,y,0,0,0)## and so on by just ignoring the dimensions after the second.

hilbert2 said:
Well, a vector ##(x,y)## can be obtained from ##(x,y,0)##, ##(x,y,0,0)##, ##(x,y,0,0,0)## and so on by just ignoring the dimensions after the second.
I still have no idea how this relates to the subject at hand.

I mean that it doesn't really have any practical significance whether we call motion of a particle, constrained on a 2-dimensional plane of a 3-dimensional space, two- or three-dimensional.

Likes Dale
hilbert2 said:
I mean that it doesn't really have any practical significance whether we call motion of a particle, constrained on a 2-dimensional plane of a 3-dimensional space, two- or three-dimensional.
OK, thanks. That at least I do understand but find it hard to agree with. By that logic, motion along a straight line (in 3D space) could be considered 1D, 2D, or 3D (or perhaps you mean it should always be considered 3D if it's in a 3D space. I've always understood that motion on a straight line is considered 1D motion.

I think in the case of a particle constrained to move in a circle, we would say there is one degree of freedom, but the motion is 2-dimensional.

hilbert2 said:

By this ,you meant :
There is no need to worry about the dimension of the motion.
When working in polar coordinates system, there will be only one equation of motion as only one coordinate is changing w.r.t. time.
When working in Cartesian coordinates system, there will be two equations of motion as two coordinates are changing w.r.t. time.
Solve the equation of motion, get the answer and forget all about the dimension of motion.

This approach simply removes the problem
Pushoam said:
Isn't the above statement right?
Can you please give me an example where the above statement won't work?
, and at the same time it makes the concept of dimension useless, doesn't it?

phinds said:
OK, thanks. That at least I do understand but find it hard to agree with. By that logic, motion along a straight line (in 3D space) could be considered 1D, 2D, or 3D (or perhaps you mean it should always be considered 3D if it's in a 3D space. I've always understood that motion on a straight line is considered 1D motion.
It might be better to say that we don't have to consider more than one dimension if we can describe the motion with one number, don't have to consider more than two dimensions if we can describe the motion with two numbers and so forth.

However, that's "don't have to", not "must not". Depending on the problem, I may find it easier to think of uniform circular motion as one number on a (curved) one-dimensional path or two numbers in the Euclidean plane with the constraint that #x^2+y^2## is constant.

Nugatory said:
However, that's "don't have to", not "must not". Depending on the problem, I may find it easier to think of uniform circular motion as one number on a (curved) one-dimensional path or two numbers in the Euclidean plane with the constraint that #x^2+y^2## is constant.
Then, can it be concluded that dimension of motion will depend on the no. of variables changing w.r.t.time in a given co-ordinate system?

Pushoam said:
Then, can it be concluded that dimension of motion will depend on the no. of variables changing w.r.t.time in a given co-ordinate system?
I am in the "it doesn't matter" camp.

If you want you can use Newtonian mechanics and analyze it using 2 variables. If you want you can use Lagrangian mechanics and analyze it using 1 variable.

In the end you get the same answer.

Nugatory said:
However, that's "don't have to", not "must not".
Fair enough

O.K.
Thanks to all.

1. How do we determine the number of dimensions in motion?

The number of dimensions in motion is determined by looking at the direction in which an object is moving. If an object is only moving in one direction, such as forward or backward, it is considered to be moving in one dimension. If an object is moving in two directions, such as forward and left, it is considered to be moving in two dimensions. Similarly, if an object is moving in three directions, such as forward, left, and up, it is considered to be moving in three dimensions.

2. Is there a limit to the number of dimensions in motion?

According to the laws of physics, there is no limit to the number of dimensions in motion. However, in our everyday experience, we typically only encounter objects moving in three dimensions. The concept of higher dimensions in motion is often explored in theoretical physics and mathematics.

3. How do we visualize motion in higher dimensions?

Visualizing motion in higher dimensions can be challenging, as our brains are used to perceiving objects moving in three dimensions. One way to visualize higher dimensions is to use mathematical models, such as graphs and equations, to represent the motion. Another way is to use analogies, such as imagining a line moving in a three-dimensional space to represent motion in four dimensions.

4. Can motion occur in fractional dimensions?

While we typically think of dimensions in whole numbers, there is a concept called fractal dimensions, where an object's dimension can be a non-integer value. In theory, motion can occur in fractional dimensions, but it is not something that we commonly observe in our everyday experience.

5. How does the dimension of motion affect an object's behavior?

The dimension of motion can greatly affect an object's behavior. In one dimension, an object can only move forward or backward, and its motion is limited to a straight line. In two dimensions, an object can move in any direction, and its motion can be curved or circular. In three dimensions, an object's motion can be even more complex, as it can move in three-dimensional space and experience different forces and interactions with other objects. The dimension of motion ultimately determines the range and complexity of an object's movement.