Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do we define division?

1. Sep 28, 2003 #1
    Multiplication is defined as repeated addition.

3x5 = 5+5+5

How do we define 10/2?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2003 #2
    Repeated subtraction?
    10-2-2-2-2-2=0 5 equal parts.

10/3
    10-3-3-3=1 3.3333333333333 parts. 3 and 1/3

4. Sep 28, 2003 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You also posted this under "general mathematics" where Hurkyl pointed out, correctly, that multiplication is NOT defined as "repeated addition".

5. Oct 8, 2003 #4
    Reminds me of a truly awful joke . . .

Q: How many times can you subtract 5 from 21
    and what do you have left?

A: I can subtract 5 from 21 as many times as I like,
    and I always have 16 left.

6. Oct 10, 2003 #5
    If A/B = C, then I would define C as the the number of times that you have to subtract B from a quantity that starts out at A until you get to 0. Hence, 10/5 = 2, because you have to subtract 5 twice from a quantity that starts out at 10 in order to get 0, and 0/0 is undefined, because you always have 0, no matter how many times you subtract, and 10/0 is undefined because there is no answer(There is no amount of times that you can subtract in order to arrive at zero--"no amount of times" is NOT the same as "zero times", because zero is an amount of times; you have an empty set, as opposed to a set with an element 0).

7. Oct 10, 2003 #6

hypnagogue

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What about something like 1/3? How many times do you have to subtract 3 from 1 to get 0? The answer is "1/3 of 3" times, but the answer here using the above formulation doesn't get us any closer to a meaningful answer than the initial question. It's circular.

8. Oct 15, 2003 #7
    we define division of two integer numbers a and b as follows a/b is
    a=b(q)+r
    for some integers q and 0<= r< b. Here q and r are uniquely deteremine. 28/5 is the same thing as 28=5(5)+3 If you want to get fancy schmancy. Take the integers Z and since Z is an integral domain define the field of rationals Q as all the numbers(quotients) that satisfy the following equation for x

xm=n

all solution are n/m where m and n are integers, here you have the field of quotients or Q

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?