How do we derive the equilibrium constant formula?

In summary, the equilibrium constant is the concentration of the products raised to the power of the coefficient in front of them of the balanced equation divided by the concentration of all the reactants raised to their coefficients.
Cheman
How do we derive the equilibrium constant formula?

ie: Kc= [C]^c*[D]^d/ [A]^a*^b

Thanks in advance. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
To start with basics: the product of concentrations of ionic species belonging to right side (products) over the product of concentrations of ionic species belonging to the left side (reagents)

Now let me give a real example:

[tex]5Fe^{2+}+MnO_4^-+8H^+\leftrightharpoons 5Fe^{3+}+Mn^{2+}+4H_2O[/tex]

The equilibrium constant may be written like this:

[tex]K_{redox}=\frac {[Fe^{3+}]^5\times [Mn^{2+}]}{[Fe^{2+}]^5\times [MnO_4^-] \times [H^+]^8}[/tex]

Last edited:
The equilibrium constant Kc=[Products]^coeffcient/[Reactants]^coefficients

In words: The equilibrium constant is the concentration of the products raised to the power of the coefficient in front of them of the balanced equation divided by the concentration of all the reactants raised to their coefficients. This is of course the "easy" explanation of an equilibrium consant, you probably don't want to see the P-chem explanation.

Gravenewworld, my P-chem really sucks, would you please show it, so that I can learn how to do it by using P-chem?

http://www.sdsc.edu/chemdyn/classnotes/equil.html

I have no idea how to use Latex, so it would almost be impossible to write down how it is derived. That website shows how to derive the equilibrium constant for gases which will give you an idea of how it is derived in general. You have to work with chemical potentials etc. to derive the equilibrium constant.

Last edited by a moderator:
This site may also help http://www2.mcdaniel.edu/Chemistry/ch307.notes/Chemical%20Equilibrium.html

Wow, they are very good, even too good for me to nearly impossible to understand them easily :smile: However I will devote my energy to learn the basics in it. Thank you for your interest.

Your chemistry text should explain this in simple terms, the easiest way to understand equilibrium constant is in terms of the rate constants. The derivation from the forward and reverse rate constants should be given in your text. It is quite important that you understand the relationship between rate constants and equilibrium constatn.

It seems that they have explained the rest. although it is a bit more complex . You should study this section more in depth.

Chem tr. where did you get the redox example (your first post)?

Last edited:
I have totally made up this one, but it doesn't seem to be wrong...

1. What is the equilibrium constant formula?

The equilibrium constant formula is a mathematical equation that expresses the ratio of the concentrations of products to reactants at equilibrium for a given chemical reaction. It is represented by the symbol Kc or Kp, depending on whether concentrations or pressures are used.

2. How is the equilibrium constant formula derived?

The equilibrium constant formula is derived from the law of mass action, which states that the rate of a chemical reaction is proportional to the product of the concentrations of the reactants. By setting the rates of the forward and reverse reactions equal to each other at equilibrium, we can solve for the equilibrium constant.

3. What are the factors that affect the value of the equilibrium constant?

The value of the equilibrium constant is affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the initial concentrations of reactants and products. It is also influenced by the stoichiometry of the reaction, as well as any changes in concentration or pressure that occur during the reaction.

4. Can the equilibrium constant formula be applied to all chemical reactions?

No, the equilibrium constant formula can only be applied to reversible reactions, where both the forward and reverse reactions are occurring. It also assumes that the reaction is taking place in a closed system, where no reactants or products are added or removed.

5. How can the equilibrium constant formula be used to predict the direction of a reaction?

If the value of the equilibrium constant is greater than 1, it indicates that the products are favored at equilibrium, and the reaction will proceed towards the right. If the value is less than 1, it means the reactants are favored, and the reaction will proceed towards the left. If the value is equal to 1, the reaction is at equilibrium and there will be no net change in the concentrations of reactants and products.