How do we find Integrating factor for a General Diff equation

In summary: The only way to do this is to solve for a in the equationpa=m+rbandqa=n+sbThe equation times the integrating factor can then be easily integrated.Note: There is a potential problem if sp=rq.In summary, there is no general method to find an integrating factor for a first order differential equation. For the given example equation, an integrating factor can be found using a non-general method. However, it is important to note that there may be potential problems if the coefficients of the differential equation do not satisfy certain conditions.
himanshu121
For eg is there a way to find IF for
[tex] pydx +qxdy +x^my^n(rydx+sxdy)=0[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
It can be proved that every first order d.e. has an integrating factor but there is no general way to do it.

I have some questions:

(1) What are p,q,r, and s?

Constants or functions?

(2) The proof that you mention Hall, is it difficult to follow? For example, is it more involved then the general existence and uniqueness proofs for a first order ODE?

(3) If a solution can be shown to exist, then does this somehow guarantee the existence of some integrating factor? For example, the above equation can be written as:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=-\frac{py+x^mry^{n+1}}{qx+sx^{m+1}ry^{n+1}}[/tex]

If the RHS of this equation and it's partial with respect to y are bounded in some neighborhood of the x-y plane, then a solution can be shown to exists in that neighborhood. Is that connected with showing an integrating factor exists as well?

(4) To Himanshu:

How close to the above equation can you get with another equation that looks like it and still be able to determine an integrating factor?

Last edited:
collect like terms and express the equation in terms of mdx+ndy,since you need integrating factors,it will be e^(integral of (1/n)(dm/dy -dn/dx).you still need to get this confirmed.and ask for more help from hall,saltydog,matt grime and especially hurkyl.they are the best

mathelord said:
collect like terms and express the equation in terms of mdx+ndy,since you need integrating factors,it will be e^(integral of (1/n)(dm/dy -dn/dx).you still need to get this confirmed.and ask for more help from hall,saltydog,matt grime and especially hurkyl.they are the best

Dude, you obviously must have just skipped your fingers randomly across the keyboard and they just happen to randomly spell "saltydog" cus' I'm not in the same category as those guys. But nice to be around them though. :smile:

himanshu121 said:
For eg is there a way to find IF for
I do not know exactly what you are asking. There is no way to find an integrating factor for a general differential equation. That is there is no general method to find the integrating factor of any differential equation. An integrating factor for your example differential equation can be found by a non-general method.
First we can observe this.
[tex] x^{1-p}y^{1-q}{d}(x^py^q)=pydx+qxdy[/tex]
Then we can write the equation as
[tex] xy(x^{-p}y^{-q}{d}(x^py^q)+x^my^nx^{-r}y^{-s}{d}(x^ry^s))=0[/tex]
so that is is easy to see that there will be an integrating factor of the form
[tex]\frac{(x^py^q)^a}{xy}[/tex]
to find a we note
[tex](x^py^q)^a=x^my^n(x^ry^s)^b[/tex]
so we solve
pa=m+rb
and
qa=n+sb
The equation times the integrating factor can then be easily integrated.
Note: There is a potential problem if sp=rq

Last edited:
mathelord said:
This will not work because and integrating factor that depends on x and y is needed. That ony works when there exist an integrating factor whose mixed second partial is 0. That if if there is an integrating factor of the form u(x) or u(y). Here we need an integrating factor of the form (x^py^q)^a.

1. How do we determine if a differential equation is exact?

In order to determine if a differential equation is exact, we need to check if it satisfies the condition of having equal mixed partial derivatives. This means that the second partial derivatives of the equation with respect to each variable should be equal.

2. What is an integrating factor?

An integrating factor is a function that is multiplied to a given differential equation in order to make it exact. It is represented by the letter "µ" and is determined by solving a simple differential equation.

3. How do we find the integrating factor for a general differential equation?

To find the integrating factor for a general differential equation, we first need to check if the equation is exact. If it is not, we can use the formula µ(x,y) = e∫(P(x)-Q(y))dx to find the integrating factor, where P(x) and Q(y) are the coefficients of the equation.

4. Can we always find an integrating factor for a given differential equation?

No, not all differential equations have an integrating factor. Some equations may be exact without the need for an integrating factor, while others may not have a suitable integrating factor that can make it exact.

5. Are there any alternative methods for solving differential equations without using an integrating factor?

Yes, there are other methods for solving differential equations such as separation of variables, substitution, and integration by parts. However, using an integrating factor can often simplify the process and lead to a more straightforward solution.