How do we get to the equation?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
In summary, the proof of the lemma states that the solutions of the Pell equation in an integral domain of characteristic zero can be expressed as two sequences of polynomials. The proof involves parametrizing the equation and showing that the functions $X+UY$ and $X-UY$ have poles only at $t=\pm 1$. This is crucial in proving the lemma by showing that $X+UY=c\left ( \frac{t+1}{t-1}\right )^m=c(T+U)^m$ and $X-UY=c(T-U)^m$. However, it is not entirely clear why $X\pm UY$ have poles only at $t=\pm 1$ and it is possible
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

I am reading the proof of the following lemma but I got stuck at some points... Let $R$ be any integral domain of characteristic zero.

We consider the Pell equation $$X^2-(T^2-1)Y^2=1 \tag 1$$ over $R[T]$.

Let $U$ be an element in the algebraic closure of $R[T]$ satisfying $$U^2=T^2-1 \tag 2$$

Define two sequences $X_n, Y_n, n=0, 1, 2, \dots$, of polynomials in $\mathbb{Z}[T]$, by setting $$X_n+UY_n=(T+U)^n\tag 3$$

Lemma.

The solutions of $(1)$ in $R[T]$ are given precisely by $$X=\pm X_n, Y=\pm Y_n, n=0, 1, 2, \dots$$

Proof.

$(1)$ is equivalent too $$(X-UY)(X+UY)=1 \tag 4$$

From $(3)$ and $(2)$ follows $$X_n-UY_n=(T-U)^n=(T+U)^{-n}$$

Hence the $X_n, Y_n$ are solutions of $(1)$.

Conversely, suppose $X$ and $Y$ in $R[T]$ satisfy $(1)$.

Let us parametrise the curve $(2)$ by $$T=\frac{t^2+1}{t^2-1}\ \ ,\ \ U=\frac{2t}{t^2-1}$$

The rational functions $X+UY$ and $X-UY$ in $t$ have poles only at $t=\pm 1$.

Moreover $(4)$ implies they have zeroes only at $t=\pm 1$.

Hence $$X+UY=c\left ( \frac{t+1}{t-1}\right )^m=c(T+U)^m, c \in R, m \in \mathbb{Z}$$

Thus also $X-UY=c(T-U)^m$.

But substistuting this in $(4)$ gives $c^2=1$, which proves the lemma by $(3)$.

Could you explain to me the following part of the proof?
Moreover $(4)$ implies they have zeroes only at $t=\pm 1$.

Hence $$X+UY=c\left ( \frac{t+1}{t-1}\right )^m=c(T+U)^m, c \in R, m\in \mathbb{Z}$$

Thus also $X-UY=c(T-U)^m$.

But substistuting this in $(4)$ gives $c^2=1$, which proves the lemma by $(3)$.

Why do we have from the relation $(4)$ that the functions $X+UY$ and $X-UY$ have zeroes only at $t=\pm 1$ ?

How do we get to the equation $X+UY=c\left ( \frac{t+1}{t-1}\right )^m=c(T+U)^m$ ? How does $c$ appear? 11

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
Why do we have from the relation $(4)$ that the functions $X+UY$ and $X-UY$ have zeroes only at $t=\pm 1$ ?

Ok, so here's $(4)$:
$$(X-UY)(X+UY)=1.$$
Suppose $X-UY$ had a pole at $t=1$. That means it blows up at $t=1$. What's the only way the entire expression $(X-UY)(X+UY)$ could equal $1$ when $t=1$?

What's puzzling me, though, is that it's not entirely obvious to me (moving back a bit in the proof) why, if $T$ and $U$ have poles only at $t=\pm 1$, which is clear, that $(X\pm UY)$ should have poles only at $t=\pm 1$. *thinking out print here* If we examine $X^2-U^2Y^2=1$, and plug in the parametrization, we get
$$X^2-\frac{4t^2}{\left(t^2-1\right)^2} \, Y^2=1.$$
In order for this equation to hold, $Y$ would simply have to have a zero at $t=\pm 1$. Otherwise, we would have an $\infty-\infty$ situation, which is undefined. Because of this fact, it's not clear to me that $X\pm UY$ have poles at all. I'm not sure I buy this proof! It looks to me like the author is hammering $(X-UY)(X+UY)=1$ for all it's worth, but ignoring $X^2-U^2Y^2=1$ and its implications for poles and zeros.

1. How do we determine the variables in an equation?

The variables in an equation are typically determined through experimentation or observation. Scientists will often conduct experiments and collect data to determine the relationship between different variables. They may also use mathematical models to help identify the variables in an equation.

2. What is the process for solving an equation?

The process for solving an equation involves rearranging the given equation to isolate the desired variable. This is typically done using algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Once the desired variable is isolated, the equation can be solved for its value.

3. How do we know if an equation is accurate?

An equation is considered accurate if it correctly represents the relationship between the variables being studied. This can be determined through experimentation, where the results of the equation match the observed data. Additionally, peer review and replication of experiments can help validate the accuracy of an equation.

4. Can an equation be used to make predictions?

Yes, an equation can be used to make predictions about how changing one variable will affect another variable. By plugging in different values for the known variables, scientists can use the equation to estimate the outcome of an experiment or observation.

5. How do we ensure that an equation is applicable in different situations?

To ensure that an equation is applicable in different situations, scientists must test it in a variety of conditions and environments. This helps determine the range of validity for the equation and if any modifications need to be made for it to accurately represent different scenarios.