How does PF handle old discussion threads?

• Thread starter mugmystery
  • Start date
In summary, PF handles old discussion threads by automatically archiving them after a certain period of time. This helps to keep the forum organized and relevant, as older discussions may not be as useful or up-to-date. Archived threads can still be accessed for reference, but new replies cannot be added. This system allows for the forum to focus on current and active discussions.
mugmystery
How did you find PF?
Via Google search
I found PF out of luck and despair, wondering where the water ring forming under a presumably dry hot ceramic cup might come, particularly on a black granite counter while making coffee. It is the only website I found interested in this precise phenomenon so I wanted to find out more and see if I could find inspiration. Unfortunately the discussion was closed for I had potential new insight and experiment, and still no definite answer. (Incidentally, I found out interesting clues while dragging the cup on the surface.) I am a science filmmaker and popular science writer, and I see these kind of questions as the most interesting out of curiosity. Physics and astrophysics were my first love and I have some ideas in these domain I'd like to share since thinking shouldn't be restricted to diploma owners... Voilà.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. We're glad to have you.

We customarily close old threads when they become so old that the participants forget about them. It would be annoying to those participants to have to re-read the whole thread again to refresh their memory after a number of years.