Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do we

1. Feb 9, 2005 #1
    how do we....

:confused:
    hello guyz
    this is my first query on this site i recently joined
    i have a lot of questions stocked up in my head here is the first one

i know the answer to this one but i may be wrong
    i like to see sci-fi movies and especially i am interested in ones where there is usually movement in time sum body going to the past that is or the one where the hero usually stops the time

well know here is the question that wen the hero stops the time how can he see light wen the light (photons)can only exist wen it is travelling at the speed of light because it can only exist then ... but the time has been stopped the stoppage means that it effects everything to the electronic level hence the source producing the light will stop producing it and the supply will be cut of not to mention the one mid way will also stop and hence it will cease to exist
    i think that its a flaw that the movie producers usually make ............. am i right ... ineed other peoples opinion ...plz reply soon....

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2005 #2

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well, there isn't any way he can do that. Write the producers and tell them so. Did you ever notice how all the aliens encountered on Star gate not only are basically humn in configuration but all speak English? Latin or Chinese or Caveman I could understand, but English?

4. Feb 9, 2005 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

"Flaw" is a very generous term, in that it implies writers for TV shows/movies make an attempt to use good science in their stories.

They don't.

5. Feb 9, 2005 #4

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to Physics Forums, spooky. You're right...the hero can't stop time and still expect everything to function normally (aside from everyone freezing in their tracks). The ways that would mess with the workings of the universe seem too numerous to list.

6. Feb 9, 2005 #5

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For actual SF films, I think there are attempts to use good science. (e.g., writers/directors consulting with some scientist) SF fans will nitpick flaws, so there is great incentive. But I wouldn't be surprised to find that due to all the people involved in production, any attempts to "keep it real" gets skewed by 100 other opinions that go into the making of each scene. Reality likely takes a back seat to aesthetics.

7. Feb 9, 2005 #6
    Alas, that is almost always the case. However, I am still confident that a great science-fiction story could be created (and interpreted as a movie or T.V. show) without violating known science. I base this on the following:

1) Science (as in real Science) is fascinating. People just don't realize it, and sci-fi flicks aren't helping.

2) I'm writing it :approve:.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?